W
Posted By
wlipford
Dec 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a picture that is High Res. Width: 1998 Height: 2796 both vert and horz Res is 300. My friend said I could use his MAC to resize the photo so I can print for some custom engagment photos I am making. The card has a 3 1/2" opening in which the picture will fit behind. My problem is when I get a print @ 4×6 its to big, I need 4×4 or 4×3.

She has Adobe Elements 3.0 on the MAC. How do I resize the picture without cropping the background and so it prints 4×4 on a 4×6 so I can cut the blank off the picture and use this…?/

There is no room to crop anything out of the pic, So I am stuck, I am sure there is a way to do this.

Thanks ahead of time for any help,

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
RSD99
Dec 3, 2004
First Method:
Change the resolution to 500 dpi.
Horizontal size will be 3.996"
Vertical size will be 5.592"

Second Method:
Crop to 1200 pixels x 1679 pixels, and leave the resolution at 300 dpi Size will be 4.000" x 5.596"

"Willy" wrote in message
I have a picture that is High Res. Width: 1998 Height: 2796 both vert and horz Res is 300. My friend said I could use his MAC to resize the photo so I can print for some custom engagment photos I am making. The card has a 3 1/2" opening in which the picture will fit behind. My problem is when I get a print @ 4×6 its to big, I need 4×4 or 4×3.
She has Adobe Elements 3.0 on the MAC. How do I resize the picture without cropping the background and so it prints 4×4 on a 4×6 so I can cut the blank off the picture and use this…?/

There is no room to crop anything out of the pic, So I am stuck, I am sure there is a way to do this.

R
RSD99
Dec 3, 2004
Correction:

Second Method should read
"Resize to 1200 pixels x 1679 pixels …"

Sorry ’bout that …

"RSD99" wrote in message
First Method:
Change the resolution to 500 dpi.
Horizontal size will be 3.996"
Vertical size will be 5.592"

Second Method:
Crop to 1200 pixels x 1679 pixels, and leave the resolution at 300 dpi Size will be 4.000" x 5.596"

"Willy" wrote in message

PD
postman delivers
Dec 4, 2004
"Willy" wrote in message

Willy,

I believe I understand what you want to do, but if the photo has a ratio, and you can not crop the image… Your only option is to distort the file, reducing one of the axis – across the top of the program you will see File – Edit – Image. Placing the cursor on Image with the photo open you will see a resize in the drop down menu that will allow you to play with the size… Please remember do not save without using a different file name – don’t overwrite your original file.

If your photo is perfect in the 4′ x 6′ then keeping the same photographic ratio you will have a 2.667" x 4" photo if you change the printing size. But I do not find a way for your photo to be exactly 4" x 6" without distorting it from the original photo dimensions you have provided.

Let me see if I can restate this since my English is not the best some times.

6.66" @ 300 Pixels per inch is 1998
9.32" @ 300 Pixels per inch is 2796
Current photo

Keeping the same ratio – no distortion

4" @ 300 Pixels per inch is 1200
5.598" @ 300 Pixels per inch is 1679
This is a 4" x 5.6" photo not 6" in Height

Keeping the same ratio – no distortion

2.86" @ 300 Pixels per inch is 858
4" @ 300 Pixels per inch is 1200

If it is a portrait of the couple then I would suggest you use a vignette technique so the ratio can be used but you do not need to worry about the width of the photo…

We all adjust the width or height of photos slightly to make a crop fit specific dimensions, but that is only a few pixels one way or the other so that it is not noticeable… changing the width 2.86" to fit the 3.50" opening is going to make the couple’s face very fat (wide).

Please have a look at using a vignette technique: A vignette, or soft fade, is a photo effect where the photo gradually fades into the background, usually in an oval shape. Elements has a built in vignette effect, but try my suggestion for more control and background colors choices.

1. Open the photo.
2. Select the Elliptical Marquee Tool.
3. Click and drag across the image to select the area of the photo you want to keep.
4. Go to Select > Feather and enter a radius amount. A value between 20-50 works well. The higher the value, the softer the fade will be.
5. Go to Select > Inverse.
6. If you want a background color other than white, black or gray, choose the color in the toolbox now.
7. Go to Edit > Fill and select a color or pattern to fill in the background.
8. Go to Select > Deselect.
9. Be sure to save under a different name so you don’t overwrite your original.
10. After step 4, you can optionally copy and paste the feathered selection to another image.
Willy, there is a one-click Vignette in the effects palette of Photoshop Elements, but by learning this procedure, you will be able to control the softness of the fade and the background contents. But certainly try the palette effect included with elements…

I wish you luck, and hopefully I have understood your problem, to correctly offer this solution..

JR the postman

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections