Posted By
Daryl_Pritchard
May 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello Somps,

No, I don’t think there is any way to create a custom grouping of filters in PS. Sometimes, I too have seen a few filters that, if grouped into subfolder of the Plug-ins folder would then appear as a submenu under the Filters menu, but I forget what they were and I’ve not seen such behavior lately. There are plugins managers available to help you manage large numbers of plugins, but I’m not sure if any of them work in a way that doesn’t require a restart of Photoshop, since it is during the initialization phase that the plugins are loaded. I suspect the premise of those plugin managers is that they move certain folders of filters in and out of the Plugins directory, or perhaps rename them so they’re hidden. It is too bad Adobe hasn’t (to my knowledge) implemented any recognition of plugins that have been moved into user-defined directories, with each directory then definining a Filters submenu.

While I’ve never done so, your best bet is probably to try and define those filters which you use for specific tasks in Photoshop and use the Custom Workspaces and Custom Menus (PS CS2, CS3) to hide the filter menus or filter items you don’t want to see for each task, and then associate those custom menus with a task-specific custom workspace.

Regards,

Daryll

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John_Joslin
May 30, 2007
Daryl’s answer is a good one but I have another suggestion. Ask yourself which of the "tremendous amount of plug-ins" you have there are actually needed for your work, as opposed to "nice to have". If you think about it, you could probably get rid of at least 75% of them.

Many plug-ins either add nothing to the functionality of Photoshop or, at best, make things easier for the lazy who can’t be bothered to learn the program.
S
Somps
May 30, 2007
I appreciate your answers. Yes, I can probably get rid of a lot of plug-ins. Some of them have tons of useless stuff in their set, but maybe 2 or 3 are ones I "like". An example would be KPT. I like the KPT set and have 3-7 and they come in seperately which is odd. It would just be nice to clean it up a bit and have them all under 1 KPT category.

Again, thank you guys for your time.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections