Posted By
Bryan_Karl_Lathrop
Jun 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi folks,

Question regarding a multichannel file in Photoshop CS.

The file in question is a logo with PMS 5815U and 5855U as spot color channels (5855 being the fill (lighter) and 5815U (darker) as the shadow). I started with a flat version of the logo that was 5855 before applying a subtle pillow emboss and designating 5815 as the shadow color in the emboss dialog box. 5815 was channel #1, 5855 was channel #2.

My printer just called me this morning about the bluelines, asking if there was supposed to be a screen of 5815 overprinting the 5855.

Question: does the channel number determine print order/overprint….etc?

clarification would be greatly appreciated
Bryan

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 10, 2004
Channel number doesn’t. How the file is set up will. If you didn’t manually knockout the 5815 then it would be a good assumption that you wanted it to overprint. It was nice of your printer to call to verify that.
BK
Bryan_Karl_Lathrop
Jun 10, 2004
Thanks, Scott.

This one has been a learning experience. The interesting thing is that regardless of channel assignment on each spot color, the image looked fine on screen.

The problem didn’t show up until bluelines. The spot color for the shadow channel was listed first, so when they ripped film, they assumed overprint. The reason I asked is that it really looked fine on screen.

thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections