PH
Posted By
peevee_hermann
Nov 17, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m about to buy Adobe CS2, but I want it for use on two different machines – my main work computer at my office, and a secondary computer at home. Neither will be in use at the same time, altho both machines may be running at the same time, te software will only be in use on one machine at any given time.

Am I going to be able to do this or will I have to buy two versions of this expensive software?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TC
tony cooper
Nov 17, 2005
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:58:45 -0500, peevee_hermann
wrote:

I’m about to buy Adobe CS2, but I want it for use on two different machines – my main work computer at my office, and a secondary computer at home. Neither will be in use at the same time, altho both machines may be running at the same time, te software will only be in use on one machine at any given time.

Am I going to be able to do this or will I have to buy two versions of this expensive software?

You can use one license on two machines. See:
http://photoshopnews.com/2005/04/11/adobe-activation-%E2%80% 93opinion/

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
N
noone
Nov 18, 2005
In article , tony_cooper213
@earthlink.net says…
wrote:

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

As Tony state, no problem, just don’t run PS at the same time. I’ve got it on workstation & laptop – never a problem.

One caveat, however. An assistant, who has it on his workstation, and on his laptop, has had to re-activate (on occasion), when he’s hooked up to my network with the laptop. This has not happened lately, however.

Hunt
K
KatWoman
Nov 18, 2005
"Hunt" wrote in message
@earthlink.net says…
wrote:

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

As Tony state, no problem, just don’t run PS at the same time. I’ve got it on
workstation & laptop – never a problem.

One caveat, however. An assistant, who has it on his workstation, and on his
laptop, has had to re-activate (on occasion), when he’s hooked up to my network with the laptop. This has not happened lately, however.
Hunt

so how does Adobe know you have 2 copies running at the same time or not?? SPYWARE? like SONY puts in the CD’s??
N
nomail
Nov 18, 2005
KatWoman wrote:

so how does Adobe know you have 2 copies running at the same time or not?? SPYWARE? like SONY puts in the CD’s??

They don’t know, unless both computers are connected to the same network.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
N
noone
Nov 19, 2005
In article <bzoff.25317$>,
says…
"Hunt" wrote in message
@earthlink.net says…
wrote:

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

As Tony state, no problem, just don’t run PS at the same time. I’ve got it on

laptop, has had to re-activate (on occasion), when he’s hooked up to my network with the laptop. This has not happened lately, however.
Hunt

As Johan states, it’s the network that seems to trigger the problem. There is an ET (call home) aspect, since CS1. In the case of my assistant, he has lost his activation, when logged on to my network, but Adobe has always restored his activation on the spot with no quesitons asked, even when we were both on PS on laptops. I have to admit, that I have not started PS CS2 on the workstation upstairs, and then tried to run CS2 on my laptop by the pool – mainly because Adobe says to NOT do this. Also, I don’t want to have to go through any re-activation situation.

Hunt
K
KatWoman
Nov 19, 2005
"Hunt" wrote in message
says…
"Hunt" wrote in message
@earthlink.net says…
wrote:

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

As Tony state, no problem, just don’t run PS at the same time. I’ve got it
on

Hunt

As Johan states, it’s the network that seems to trigger the problem. There is
an ET (call home) aspect, since CS1. In the case of my assistant, he has lost
his activation, when logged on to my network, but Adobe has always restored
his activation on the spot with no quesitons asked, even when we were both on
PS on laptops. I have to admit, that I have not started PS CS2 on the workstation upstairs, and then tried to run CS2 on my laptop by the pool – mainly because Adobe says to NOT do this. Also, I don’t want to have to go through any re-activation situation.

Hunt

so every time we start the program Adobe is monitoring our usage? damn that is kinda scary
N
noone
Nov 21, 2005
In article <e6Nff.7456$>,
says…
"Hunt" wrote in message
says…
[SNIP]
so every time we start the program Adobe is monitoring our usage? damn that is kinda scary

Yes, to a degree. I think that this is the reason, that PS, since CS1, takes a bit more time to load. On my machines, laptop, and workstation, I get the splash screen, the program screen, then there are two instances of the " hourglass" (Win2K and XP). If I try to do anything during those two hourglass modes, I get a freeze, or a program hang. Sometimes, it clears, but often, I have to exit, then re-start CS(2 now). It’s almost like the old-days, when I would go make a pot of coffee, while Save was going on, but that was back when a 250MB (yes, MB) HDD was as large as one could get, and any MoBo with 1MB was considered "overkill." I think that the ET factor is at work here. Now, I suppose that I could test it, but disconnecting from the wireless on the laptop, starting CS2, then going up to the studio and starting CS2 on the workstation, but it just hasn’t seemed worth it.

Hunt
PP
Pod Press
Nov 21, 2005

Yes, to a degree. I think that this is the reason…

<snip>

I have to disagree. I don’t think Adobe is monitoring usage, per se. It’s been my experience that if you are on a network running any apps using the same S.N., one won’t work but, no, I don’t believe Adobe calls back to the mother ship every time you crank up. If you’re paranoid you can either close the port or disconnect.

-VRay

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections