MC
Posted By
Miller_Church
Aug 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a new subscriber. When using the text tool, when I come to the end of the line and hit Enter, the cursor goes back to the beginning of the sentence; it does not create a new line. Anyone know what’s wrong? Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NS
Nancy_S
Aug 20, 2004
miller,

It doesn’t work like a typewritter. You would be better of creating each new line of text on its own blank layer. This way you can reposition each line. Text isn’t the best in this program.
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 20, 2004
miller,

If the concept of layers is new to you, a very basic run through can be found here.

< http://www.elated.com/tutorials/graphics/photoshop/intro_lay ers/>

The site below is much more in depth, note the links to his other pages for Elements on the left side of page.

<http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_basics1.htm>
MC
Miller_Church
Aug 23, 2004
Thanks so much for your response. Although I’m a new subscriber, I’m not new to Photoshop. I understand what you’re saying about text, and your suggestion is certainly the best solution. However, I’d really like to know how to "undo" this thing that’s happening when I hit return after typing text. Again, however, I truly appreciate your suggestion.
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 23, 2004
Have you tried deleting the Preference folder to see if that corrects the problem? It’s true that Elements isn’t a good text editing program, but when I use the Horizontal Text Tool, I can begin a new line by hitting Return. Do you know the keyboard shortcut (same as full PS I believe.) If not:

With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for the (Win) Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Mac) Command, Option, and Shift. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes.
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 23, 2004
Are you using Windows? If you are, you can use the End key on the keyboard to take you back to the end of a line of text. Conversely, the Home key will take you to the beginning. I don’t know if this is the same on a Mac.

For me it’s the same as Beth — when I use the Horizontal Type tool, I get a new line when I hit Enter/Return.

Patti
MC
Miller_Church
Aug 23, 2004
Thanks to you all. Apparently, the solution was (isn’t it always the way?) a computer reboot. Seems fine this morning after having the weekend to rest up.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections