LB
Posted By
Larry_Beston
Aug 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I would like to "soften" the face on an image much as a portrait photographer does to minimize wrinkles, blemishes, etc. Is there a way to do this in Photoshop Elements?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 19, 2004
Larry,

The best way to soften digitally AFAIK is by using the free DreamyFX plug in. It can be done by using a layer with gaussian blurr, preferably in "soft light" mode too, but this plug in is by far superior.

Nevertheless, applying a good soft focus filter on camera is still the best way as the effect is different from any digital manipulation

BTW, a good way to minimize wrinkles is to use a very soft lighting.

Leen
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 19, 2004
Larry,

One way of doing this is:

Duplicate your image layer, and turn off the little eye on the background layer. Working on the duplicated layer .. Use the eraser to remove the areas that you do NOT want to soften (like eyes, jawline etc).
Next turn on the little eye on the background layer and make sure that you are working on the new layer. Do Filer>Blur>Gausgian Blur. Adjust the blur level until it looks OK.

Wendy
SB
Stu_Bloom
Aug 19, 2004
Another way to minimize wrinkles, etc., is to use the Blur tool on those areas of the face where age or pimples have taken their toll.
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 19, 2004
or perhaps a blur layer set to Color mode…adj opacity
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 19, 2004
Yet another way: Select the clone stamp (soft brush, set to lighten at around 20% opacity), tick the box that says "Use All layers" in the options bar, create a new blank layer over the photo set this layers opacity to around 30%. Clone onto this blank layer. When done raise or lower this layer’s opacity to increase or decrease wrinkle/blemish coverage. (Don’t be afraid to try different modes on clone stamp…you may find color or one of the others might fit the skin type better).

Note: I’d pay attention to what Leen had to say since he actually does portrait photography.

Terri
SB
Stu_Bloom
Aug 20, 2004
layer with gaussian blurr, preferably in "soft light" mode too

How do you accomplish that, Leen?

When I blur a copy layer and set its blending mode to "soft light" I get a marked increase in contrast (which is what I would have expected) but very little, if any, affect on sharpness or wrinkles.
LB
Larry_Beston
Aug 20, 2004
Thanks for the input and suggestions. I’ll try them.

I’m curious about something, though. It seems to me that I had a photo software a few years back that while really low end in its capabilities had the function of softening an image with a click. If a low end product can offer this feature does it not seem reasonable that it is easy to build into a more complete photo software? I wonder why Adobe didn’t add this feature to Elements.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 20, 2004
it’s in the effects palette…’soft focus’
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 20, 2004
Larry,

The low-end package you describe, with its one-click softening, was taking the decision out of your hands as to what sort of and how much softening would be done. Elements allows you to control every aspect of the process.

If you prefer to have the software perform a generic adjustment, Elements offers that approach, as well… in the Quick Fix tool, select Focus, then Blur, then Apply.

Byron
SB
Stu_Bloom
Aug 20, 2004
layer with gaussian blurr, preferably in "soft light" mode too

How do you accomplish that, Leen?

Leen?
LB
Larry_Beston
Aug 21, 2004
Thanks Byron and Stu for the further ideas. Tried them both and was successful. I can see now why degrees of softness is more preferable to the one click application.
LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 21, 2004
Stu, you are right. It doesnot work at all.
Neverheless I remember having done something similar before I discovered DreamyFX. I haven’t used anything else -except for my Softars- ever since.

Leen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 21, 2004
I believe it was Grants method;

) Duplicate the background layer call it "One"
2) Duplicate "One" call it "Two"
3) Hide "Two"
4) Gaussian blur "One" at about 20-25 and apply blend mode to lighten then set opacity to 50%
5) Make "Two" visible and apply Gaussian blur to it at about 10-15 and apply blend mode to darken then set opacity to 50%
6) Merge "One" and "Two" calling it "Filter"
7) Create a mask for "Filter" and using a soft brush set at opacity 30%
carefully paint in the eyes, eyebrows, mouth and teeth. Increase the brush size and paint in hair and clothing
FPRIVATE Go to back ground background and use the tool of your choice to remove blemishes

……if you don’t want to do the mask thing then merge the two top layer and use a soft eraser at lowered opacity to remove the blur. Lowered opacity is best not too take too much away from edges but can be repeated to take more away as well.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections