JA
Posted By
James_Averill
Jul 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been enjoying Elements 2.0 for a couple of months with no problems. Thursday, Windows did an automatic update. Since that time, Elements hangs up in the welcome screen. Any ideas of what I can do?

Thanks, Jim Averill

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jul 31, 2004
James,

Try this:

Perform a manual Windows Update (in IE click Tools/Windows Update or if you don’t use IE click Start/All Programs/Windows Update). After it has done it’s thing click on "View installation history" in the left pane. You should get a list by date of updates applied. Note the id of the one(s) installed on Thursday. Go to Control Panel/Add Remove programs and scroll down to the updates. Remove those from Thursday one at a time checking to see if you get PE back between each. Go back to Manual Update and selectively apply any that you removed that did not cause the problem.

The downside is that Automatic Update will probably re-apply the problem so you might want to consider turning off automatic update and continue to "do it yourself" at least twice a week.

I don’t know if Automatic Update applies driver updates (I don’t use Automatic Update). If it does a new driver may have caused the problem and requires a different removal. I, for one, never apply a driver from Microsoft without investigation.

Hope you find the bad one.

Bob
JA
James_Averill
Aug 1, 2004
Thanks, Robert, for your help. I found the offending file on the 2nd try. For the record, it was KB841873, if anyone else with the same problem sees this.

Again–Thanks!

Jim Averill
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Aug 2, 2004
Jim,

I installed KB841873 on 7/28 without a problem. Must just be differences in configuration. If you are interested there is a workaround from Microsoft that should protect you:

< http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-022. mspx>

You might also want to download the update (it’s available at the above page), get off the internet, shut down everything including firewalls and anti-virus, then double click it. You can always uninstall it again if it locks you up.

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections