GW
Posted By
Gregory_Werner
Feb 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Plan to upgrade a W2K OS system to a dual processor motherboard. What are some of the positives and negatives of using PhotoShop is such an environment? What plugins are necessary?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MA
Mark_Allen
Feb 5, 2004
Greg,

Should be smooth enough with little hassle. Regarding plugins? What do you mean. if you’re pertaining to Auto/FX and Extensis etc, well, search the forums, there’s a lot of aggro regarding that. Seems a personal preference.

If you’re upgrading go XP. Very hard to beat. Never crashes and PhotoshopCS works quite good. A bit slow but Sure with a new install it’ll work well.

Regards

Mark
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 5, 2004
positive – fast. negative – none that I know of. all plugins needed come with photoshop. re the os, i’d recommend xp pro over 2k.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 5, 2004
I ran Win2K for several years on a dual-processor board with no problems at all insofar as PS is concerned. As soon as XP was available, I upgraded to that so I could get away from a dual-boot WinXP/WinMe configuration which was otherwise needed for certain apps that wouldn’t run under Windows 2000 but which XP could handle in compatibility mode.

Be aware that you might want to ensure the drivers for your peripherals don’t have any known problems on dual-processor systems. In particular, my devotion to Kensington ended when they never updated their Mouseworks drivers to work properly with a dual-processor PC. I really liked my "Thinking Mouse" at the time and hated to lose its versatility. Also, if you use Norton Utilities, CleanSweep doesn’t work on a dual-processor system. I can’t think of any other problems but it is important not to assume that all software will run on a dual-processor system. I’ve never really understood why that is.

If I was upgrading a mobo, I’d take advantage of OEM pricing on Windows XP Pro and upgrade from Windows 2000, but perhaps you’re not ready for that jump just yet.

Regards,

Daryl
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 5, 2004
good post daryl. i would never have thought some drivers wouldn’t work with DPs. interesting.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 5, 2004
Dave,

It’s irritating enough to discover some drivers and software don’t with DPs, but it’s even more frustrating if they don’t work for DP (me)! 😉

Daryl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections