F
Posted By
fgphotog
Nov 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running PS 7 on an older Pentium III with 768 MB Ram and Windows 98SE.

I am interested in upgrading to PS CS but since it needs Win 2000 or XP I have a problem. I cant afford a new machine, so how can I upgrade with the least hassle (as all my apps & their tweaks are humming along just nicely) ?

My hard drive is relatively small at 20GB so I dont really have room to simply add another OS & the CS program.
Will a copy of XP just overwrite the 98SE, or what’s the best way to go about this?

If XP will not simply replace Win98SE then a second hard drive ? I dont think my computer has a free bay to add another internal hard drive [since they are relatively cheap, that may be an option – just put the new OS and Photoshop on a separate drive – although I dont know how one would switch between the 2 (operating systems) ] ?

I have a PCI card added to my motherboard to provide USB2 & Firewire ports. Perhaps an external drive ?

Any solutions that dont cost too much or have too many pitfalls welcomed 🙂

I know this isn’t strictly speaking a Photoshop question but perhaps other users can help.

thanks,
Frank

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

M
MarkS
Nov 6, 2003
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:56:09 -0500, "fgphotog" wrote:

I am interested in upgrading to PS CS but since it needs Win 2000 or XP I have a problem. I cant afford a new machine, so how can I upgrade with the least hassle (as all my apps & their tweaks are humming along just nicely) ?
My hard drive is relatively small at 20GB so I dont really have room to simply add another OS & the CS program.
Will a copy of XP just overwrite the 98SE, or what’s the best way to go about this?

If XP will not simply replace Win98SE then a second hard drive ? I dont think my computer has a free bay to add another internal hard drive [since they are relatively cheap, that may be an option – just put the new OS and Photoshop on a separate drive – although I dont know how one would switch between the 2 (operating systems) ] ?

I have a PCI card added to my motherboard to provide USB2 & Firewire ports. Perhaps an external drive ?

I know this isn’t strictly speaking a Photoshop question but perhaps other users can help.

thanks,
Frank
Frank – the first thing I would do is run the Microsoft upgrade advisor at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/ad visor.asp

This analyses your current configuration as best as it can and gives an assessment as to whether an upgrade to XP will go smoothly, or what you might have to change.

You didn’t say what your current machine offers by way of processor speed. If it is at least 800 mhz, you should be ok. Your memory looks great. Most machines take 4 ide devices, so if you have one hard drive and one optical drive already, there is a good chance that you can install a second internal hard drive, with some shifting around of current drives if necessary. Or you could replace your smallish 20 gb drive with a roomier 80 gb drive, which are around 80 US$ these days with or without rebates if you search a bit.

MarkS
M
MCL
Nov 6, 2003
In news:2osqb.20863$, fgphotog deftly
typed:

On the long run, the least hassle would be to format and start from scratch. To have all the advantages and features of an NT based OS, you need to run your HD with NTFS as opposed to FAT, and that means a complete reformat. I wouldn’t install XP on a PIII, but would go with W2Ksp3 as it would run much faster (a lot less overhead). I rarely seen system working properly and stable after installing an OS on top of another one, altough you could be the lucky one; As to dual booting, well, after you tasted the stability of an NT based system, you won’t want to use the Win’98 install anyway, so why bother? And you would have to partition your smallish hard drive to do that anyway, so that would mean formatting (unless you use partition magic, but again, why bother?).

Martin.
"The known is finite, The unknown infinite"
T.H.Huxley
W
wruffner
Nov 6, 2003
I recently upgraded an "old" Dell 650MHz PIII desktop from 98SE to XP.

I got a second, much larger HD and used DriveCopy v4 ($8 off eBay) to duplicate everything. Then did an XP upgrade to the new drive. (The original drive was removed and remained untouched throughout.)

It was as painless as it could be. XP is so much more stable it’s amazing. PS7 (not CS) runs well on it. You’ll actually get to use all your RAM too.

(Buy a USB2 case for the old drive so you can still use it – about $30.)

The whole thing was way easier than I expected. Make sure you have a high speed net connection available for all the necessary XP updates.

The only lesson I wish I knew about before I started was to completely delete anti-virus software prior to the XP upgrade, then reinstall it. Norton AV was a mess to de-install the hard way.

thanks,
Frank

V
Voivod
Nov 6, 2003
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:12:08 -0500, "MCL"
scribbled:

In news:2osqb.20863$, fgphotog deftly
typed:

On the long run, the least hassle would be to format and start from scratch. To have all the advantages and features of an NT based OS, you need to run your HD with NTFS as opposed to FAT, and that means a complete reformat. I wouldn’t install XP on a PIII, but would go with

Bullshit, conversion to NTFS is built into Win2k (and I’m sure XP) I’ve done FAT32 to NTFS at least a hundred times without formatting, without losing any data.
V
Voivod
Nov 6, 2003
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:38:46 -0500, Wayne R.
scribbled:

It was as painless as it could be. XP is so much more stable it’s amazing. PS7 (not CS) runs well on it. You’ll actually get to use all your RAM too.

He’s using all of his RAM with 98, the myths that
windows 98 can’t address large amounts of RAM
are a complete fallacy.
W
wruffner
Nov 6, 2003
I had 768MB in mine and had problems (don’t now remember what they were though) that completely went away when I reduced it to 512MB.

So there.

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:48:46 GMT, Voivod wrote:

scribbled:

are a complete fallacy.
V
Voivod
Nov 6, 2003
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 16:26:49 -0500, Wayne R.
scribbled:

I had 768MB in mine and had problems (don’t now remember what they were though) that completely went away when I reduced it to 512MB.
So there.

There’s quite a simple fix and the solution is found easily on the MS website. It’s not MY fault you don’t know how
to configure your system so don’t blame me for your
failures.

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:48:46 GMT, Voivod wrote:

scribbled:

are a complete fallacy.
M
MCL
Nov 6, 2003
In news:, Voivod deftly
typed:
Bullshit, conversion to NTFS is built into Win2k (and I’m sure XP) I’ve done FAT32 to NTFS at least a hundred times without formatting, without losing any data.

I see the light is on but nobody’s home. NTFS is a hard drive file system, different than FAT, it’s not a "conversion" of any kind; and you’re statement that’s it’s "built in W2K" doesn’t make any sense: Any NT OS can be installed either on a FAT or NTFS partitioned hard drive, but if you install it on a FAT HD, you won’t get may of the security features of the OS and you’re still stuck with the 4GB limit of FAT32 (NTFS, in case you’ve read so far, has no limits).
I’ve read many of your posting here, Voivod, and I suggest that you crawl back into the hole that you spawn from.

Martin.
"The known is finite, The unknown infinite"
T.H.Huxley
H
Hecate
Nov 7, 2003

thanks,
Frank
Do not, under any circumstances, try and upgrade 98 to XP. You may be the one in a thousand that’s lucky and gets away with it, but that’s unlikely. Generally, you’ll give yourself a lot of problems by upgrading.

The best way to do it is to install on a freshly formatted disk which has the added benefit of losing all the crap that Win98 collects over any period exceeding 6 months.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
V
Voivod
Nov 7, 2003
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:42:57 -0500, "MCL"
scribbled:

In news:, Voivod deftly
typed:

I see the light is on but nobody’s home. NTFS is a hard drive file

Look, just because YOU don’t know fuck all about Windows 2000 doesn’t mean everyone else is as fucking clueless
as you are, ok.

system, different than FAT, it’s not a "conversion" of any kind; and

It’s NOT?! Really, so the command string:
convert [drive_letter]: /fs:ntfs
Isn’t actually part of the Win2K operating system?
Funny, since it’s listed right here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/managing/ convertfat.asp In the article titled:
"How to Convert FAT Disks to NTFS"
And as *I* said I’ve DONE the conversion from
a FAT32 file system TO an NTFS file system at
least a hundred times. But hey, YOU know
better, don’t you?

you’re statement that’s it’s "built in W2K" doesn’t make any sense: Any

It only makes no sense because you’re a clueless twit trying (and failing) to talk about something he has no grasp of.

It’s BUILT into the OS since the OS comes with the CONVERT command USED to (get this, it’s a kick in the ass) CONVERT a FAT32 file system to NTFS on the fly without formatting. But of course you know better, don’t you?

I’ve read many of your posting here, Voivod, and I suggest that you crawl back into the hole that you spawn from.

I suggest you learn something about what you want
to pretend you know all about next time so when
someone like me who actually DOES know what
he’s talking about comes along you don’t look
quite as moronic as you appear now.

I await your apology.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections