My Text is gone and customer service sucks!

T
Posted By
TravisNY
May 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I won’t get into my 1/2 hr on the horn with customer service, but I need help with missing text:

I have my paragraph window open and when I click on the text button and start typing, nothing shows up on the image. In the layers window the text is there, but on my image all that is there is a little black box.

Now I saw some other forum posts about this, I changed my resolution and I have tried to change the text size, but it always defaults back to nothing. Even when it is at 15 pt or whatever, nothing shows up.

Help please, the people on the phone refused to!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John Joslin
May 7, 2007
Make sure the text colour is different from the background.

If that wasn’t it reset the text tool.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 7, 2007
Also, look at the leading (top right on the Character Palette). It should be set to Auto. It might be off the edge of the page. Double-click on the "T" to select the text when you make any changes.

I would NOT assume that customer service people know very much, if anything about how to use Photoshop.
T
TravisNY
May 7, 2007
Both of those are checks and still nothing.

Regarding Customer Service, I should be so lucky to actually get someone on the line to talk with. I waited 1/2 hr just to be told that because this is an online version and they were not able to find my company on their list, I would have to have my boss call…you that’s going to happen.

Thanks for the responses, I open to trying anything else.

BTW- I saw this thread:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc39cdf>

And I tried all the things listed there, but nothing seems to be working.
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
at this point, i’d try to reset your prefs per the faq.

(is the font good? can you use it in other apps?)
P
Phosphor
May 7, 2007
Guaranteed: PEBKAC.

And JFYI…Customer service doesn’t really exist to help you with problems like this.

½ hour? Considering there are tons of people with installation issues, that sounds like a short wait to me.

I know your problem is important to you, but it really is kind of low on the totem pole of overall importance. That’s why productive dialogue on these forums is so valuable. Quicker answers, little wait, and there are knowledgeable folks here 24/7/365.

It might also help when asking (and ranting) for help if you offered some details about which version of Photoshop you’re working with, details about your OS version, how much RAM you have (and have dedicated to PS), how much free HD space you have, scratch disk and OS paging disk set-up, etc. This sort of info is helpful for almost ALL questions you’d like help with.

Have a read at the following link. It’s a good one and the priciples contained in it can expedite the process of finding solutions:
LenHewitt, "How To Get Help Quickly" #, 4 Mar 2004 8:27 am </cgi-bin/webx?50>
P
Phosphor
May 7, 2007
Oh, and Travis?

You may want to ditch your email address or if you feel you must post it, use a format such as:myusername [shift+2] domain_name [point] comThese forums and posts are leeched by other sites, and surely have spiders crawling and harvesting email addresses.

Don’t add to the spam problem, be part of the solution!

🙂
T
TravisNY
May 7, 2007
Thanks for the input. I will take it into consideration from now on.

I have CS2, XP Pro w/ SII, 49GIG HD Free Space, 1 GIG Ram.

I don’t know what this is:
"scratch disk and OS paging disk set-up, etc."

As far as my ranting, I (my company) paid $600 for this software. For that price I expect some level of reasonable support. I understand that there is a great knowledge base, but I use a lot of software programs and navigate a lot of support structures, this is by far the most unfriendly. That’s just MHO.

Thanks for the advice on the email, will do.
T
TravisNY
May 7, 2007
Thanks for all the input, it was something simple, just the Reset Character off of the menu on the paragraph window that did it. I tried that a few times, but something I did this time was right.

Sorry for being a putz, I was just annoyed with the level of service Adobe has for problems like this. In their defense, I have been using this program for over a year with out a problem. Can’t argue with good software.
P
Phosphor
May 7, 2007
Now that you have it sussed, (and I was just about to post this…) read Len Hewitt’s 2nd reply in the following thread from the FAQ section in this forum. Make sure to study the image (reset_tools.gif) linked at the bottom, too.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
JJ
John Joslin
May 7, 2007
Nobody reads Post #1
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2007
well nobody reads post # 1, or post #10…
DM
Don_McCahill
May 8, 2007
I (my company) paid $600 for this software. For that price I expect some level of reasonable support.

But you paid $600 for the software. Support costs more. On a question of this nature, you will generally be asked for a credit card number, and pay by the hour for support. I don’t know what Adobe charges, but some companies will charge $150 an hour for support.

(And if you feel that support should be included in the price, I disagree. I don’t want to pay for support that I will not use, never having had to call support. Any questions I have had were solved in this forum long before someone would have picked up the phone at Adobe, had I called.)
BL
Bob Levine
May 8, 2007
Ask the folks in Europe about that. The price for the software is more than twice what it is here because, among other things, Adobe is required to provide "free" support.

Bob
JJ
John Joslin
May 8, 2007
Adobe is required to provide "free" support.

Where did you get that little gem from Bob?

As far as I know that was just their justification and, when pressed to say what it was, they said "Well, running seminars and stuff."
BL
Bob Levine
May 8, 2007
I got it from them. But I’ll take your word for it.

Bob
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 8, 2007
Wow! What a change from the middle of the 20th Century.

In 1961, I and many others went to work for the Tektronix field offices all over the country and eventually, the world. That entailed field training. For 6 months, we were brought to the Beaverton Oregon headquarters, paid a salary, a per deim and did not do anything but learn the ins and outs of oscilloscopes and current electronics practices. And I mean very thoroughly. Some of us went to our assignments as maintenance people, some as field engineers who called on customers to support them in any way they could. Not a small percentage used scopes but were not trained to cope with some of the problems that surfaced. We helped them. Of course, much time was also spent demo’ing the instruments in anticipation of future sale. But the point is, except for non-warranty repairs and renovation work, the service was free. Even out of warranty work, if it simply required a replacement of a part easily replaced, the field engineer could do it on the spot if it meant not interrupting an important measurement.

Free. And yes Don, you paid for it in the purchase price, even if you didn’t use it.

No one ever complained, because when certain design or manufacturing problems emerged, Tek would generate mod kits to solve the problem and offer it to all users of that model. In warranty, free, out of warranty, only time spent by the techs to install it. If the power transformer failed, replaced, parts and service free, as that component was warranted so long as the instrument was useable.

I was hired as a result of those field engineers calling and helping me solve a problem. I was so impressed, I applied for the job!
P
Phosphor
May 8, 2007
Apples, Oranges, and a different type of business environment, Larry.

It’d be nice if free customer support was possible, but I can imagine the convoluted support nightmare Adobe is faced with, and I understand why they want a credit card number just to get started.

They’re a gigantic company, selling many dozens of fundamentally different products to customers all over the world. The products get installed on systems and by people which represent a virtually infinite set of variables when it comes to hardware/OS/software/stability/compatibilities…then, multiply all of that by the human factor, which encompasses untold differences in levels of software skill-sets, troubleshooting abilities, ability to read and follow directions and heed warnings, language interpretation and technical understanding.

Consider just the case of Photoshop (and even PS Elements) as an example: It’s an extraordinarily complex and powerful hunk of software, and has become so ubiquitous that it’s being bought, borrowed, pirated, stolen and installed by everyone from 10 year old kids, to college students, to administrative assistants, to hobbyists, to professionals. Generalizing just for simplicity’s sake, each of these disparate segments of the userbase have differing needs and abilities, and just getting them up to speed requires that any CSR dealing with them on a support issue must be able to quickly assess what they know, what they don’t know, what they’ve done and tried, and must then try to shoehorn a solution into that mess.

Tektronix, on the other hand, dealt with (and deals) with a relatively thin strata of users by comparison, and I would surmise that those users have a much higher base level of understanding about how to use the type of products Tektronix sells.

Personally, I’d rather work in support for Tektronix, where I’d be more likely to deal with people who have some measure of facile ability, than to work for Adobe support where every call is a crapshoot.
P
Phosphor
May 8, 2007
And THAT’S why Adobe should get down on its collective knees and personally thank every regular contributor to these forums.

The enormous value provided by these forums and the people who freely give of their time and energies is inestimable.
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2007
they know and take into account (on spreadsheets updated bi-weekly!) the value of this place. they’re a corporation. it’s their business to know.

<Roz>"I’m watching you Kazaowski. Aaaaaaallways watching you."</Roz>
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 8, 2007
I quite agree Phos. Tek represented and instituted a particular point in customer care. I don’t think any startup today would even consider it even for a moment, even if at a similar esoteric position. That’s more the point.

Remember also that Teks customers had people that could run circlr\les around the field people in general so they had to be good!

Adobe in some respects has a similar class of folks invoved at the customer level. Were it not so, these forums would be pointless.
KV
Klaas Visser
May 9, 2007
Perhaps a little bit off-topic:

When I got into IT Field Service in 1980, hardware sales carried a gross margin of around 70%, and software licencing (not PC stuff) carried around a 95% gross margin. there was plenty of funding for warranty and other services.

These days, margins are a lot thinner, and PC software products are more of a consumer product, with pricing aimed at recovering developments costs via the expected number of units sold.

Support is therefore charged independently (although installation support, or first 30/60 days support, may be included in the purchase price).

Also, as Phos mentioned, the variety of potential configurations, tied to the variety of knowledge/skill levels of the users, make for a very difficult environment to support.

Then you get into the difference between actual product problems/failures, versus end users who are seeking functional support (how do I? what/why does it do? type questions). These forums are an excellent dynamic to helping with these sorts of questions.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 9, 2007
We have been OT a bit Klaas! 🙂

Don’t mind me. Just an ol’ codger reminincing!

Hey! I ain’t so old!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections