PS
Posted By
Phil_Schirmer
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I tagged this question onto another thread and didn’t get any responses there so I’ll try again. When I work with large text over an image (I’m a book designer) the text is fussy to work with. If I move it, pieces of the letters get left behind. Or if I highlight a letter and change it nothing happens until I zoom in or out. I’ve had this problem in Quark in the past and was told it was a memory problem? I’m using a G5 with 1.2 gigs RAM so it CAN’T be a memory problem… Any suggestions?
Thanks, Phil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 1, 2004
Two questions, Phil:

1. Does the text redraw properly when you refresh the screen?

2. At what magnification does this happen?
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2004
Is your type left as vector type, or has it been converted to pixels? If the former, is it just one font (if so, I would think a corrupted font which should be replaced), or any? Is this just a screen anomaly (if so, I would think it’s your video card), or does it print the same as what you see?

Neil
PS
Phil_Schirmer
Mar 1, 2004
Well, I just tried again and it does seem to work OK at 100%. Hmmm… if this means that I can’t work with type at a reduced viewing size that’s a problem. Never had any difficulties in earlier Photoshops.

Yes, Doug, it does redraw correctly when I refresh the screen. I just have to refresh the screen every time I make any changes to the type (i.e. larger, smaller, or moving it, which I’m constantly doing as a designer).

Neil – I’ve just upgraded to CS. I wasn’t even aware the text is temporarily in vector. I just assumed it was pixels. (I just click on the T tool and start typing). I guess I’ll have to do some more learning…

Thanks for your replies. For now, I’ll work at 100%.
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 1, 2004
Some folks are having an issue with text redraw at 50% magnification.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2004
Phil,

Type exists as freely editable vectors until it is rasterized.

Neil
RM
Rustus_Maximus
Mar 5, 2004
Just as an update on this issue…we were having the same redraw problems with text below 100% mag and I found the "Info Palette Issue" thread…

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2ccf5200>

Apparently moving the Info palette to the back of the palette window or closing it altogether solves the redraw issue at mags below 100%. At least it worked for us ; – )
It also seems that Adobe has acknowledged the issue and are working on it. See thread for full details.

Good Luck,

Rustus
PS
Phil_Schirmer
Mar 6, 2004
Wow, I am impressed. How the heck someone could figure that out. I just tried it and it works! I move the info palette back behind the histogram and my type problems are gone… I wouldn’t have discovered that in a million years.
Thanks Rustus.
Phil
RM
Rustus_Maximus
Apr 22, 2004
Hi Phil…sorry for the late reply here but haven’t checked this thread in a while. No need to thank me…thank the guys who found that little work around. We were just as frustrated as you 😉 This board serves a wonderful purpose and almost everyone on here is more than ready to help solve a problem and probably the problem already has a solution…you just have to dig sometimes.

Photoshop on brother! Photoshop on!

Rustus

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections