RR
Posted By
roslyn_rudolph
Jul 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a "properties box" or some other function to determine what Elements 2 manipulation feature I applied to an earlier image so that I can duplicate it on a new image? Specifically: I took a pen & ink drawing and manipulated it in Elements 2 (using Windows), giving it the look of a sepia drawing. I have revised the original drawing, scanned it, and want to apply the same effect. Have tried pulldown menues; I know that the treatment I used is in there somewhere. The only help entry under "sepia" does not give me what I used on the original drawing. I know that what I used is listed somewhere, but 3+ hours of searching have yielded nothing and I wonder whether Elements 2 lets me see the name of what manipulation technique I used on that first image. Will be grateful for any help.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy_S
Jul 27, 2004
Roslyn,

A "History" is kept as you work on an image which lists the editing steps as they are taken, but this is not preserved when you close the file. At each opening of a file, the History begins anew.
SB
Stu_Bloom
Jul 27, 2004
Get used to using layers. Adjustment layers are "self documenting" – i.e., when you use a Levels adjustment layer, you can always go back and see what you did – and even change it, if need be.

Before I apply any filter, I duplicate the current working layer. When I exit from the filter dialog, I name the layer with the name of the filter and the settings – e.g. "USM 100-0.8-2" or "Gaussian 3.5". That gives me a complete history of what I’ve done.

Before I flatten for printing, I save a copy of the file with layers. My practice is to save layered copies as PSDs, flattened for-print copies at TIFs, and flattened Web copies as JPEGs. Then if I need to make later modifications, I always work on the PSD.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 27, 2004
Stu’s workflow is very good, and it has an added advantage he didn’t mention. When you use layers for various adjustments, the specific adjustment layer from one image can be drag/dropped onto a different image. In your case, the layer on which you applied the sepia tone could be dragged to the new scan, giving it the same effect without having to redo the whole thing. The caveat, of course, is that the background of the second image has to be virtually identical to that of the first in order for the layer to produce exactly the same effect. If you’re working with black and white, that should be easy. I used this method to correct a small group of color photos, each of which needed the same adjustment to get the coloring the way I wanted it. I did the initial corrections on one photo and used the same adjustments for all the rest.
RR
roslyn_rudolph
Jul 27, 2004
Thanks kindly to all! This newbie has learned some lessons here.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections