Posted By
BD
Nov 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all.

I have an idea I’d like to try in PS (CS2), but I’m unsure about a part of it.

Picture a posed photo of a human torso – I want to give the illusion that there’s a strong heat source at a specific point in the body (say around the heart area). I want to have those ‘heat wave ripples’ you see on hot days emanating up and out in a small area around and above that point.

Is there some sort of ‘ripple’ filter that might be used to give this effect? I imagine it would require some kind of oval-shaped gradient around the effect as well so that it dissipates, but I’m not sure how I’d attack this one.

Any suggestions from the wiser and more experienced out there?

Thanks,

BD

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Nov 7, 2005
BD wrote:
Picture a posed photo of a human torso – I want to give the illusion that there’s a strong heat source at a specific point in the body

Hm.. you may be able to use the "Liquify" tool for this.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
BC
Big Craigie
Nov 7, 2005
"BD" wrote in message
Hi all.

Picture a posed photo of a human torso – I want to give the illusion that there’s a strong heat source at a specific point in the body (say around the heart area). I want to have those ‘heat wave ripples’ you see on hot days emanating up and out in a small area around and above that point.

Is there some sort of ‘ripple’ filter that might be used to give this effect? I imagine it would require some kind of oval-shaped gradient around the effect as well so that it dissipates, but I’m not sure how I’d attack this one.

Any suggestions from the wiser and more experienced out there?
I’ve just tried a wee experiment. using the lasso tool I drew around and up from the heart area of a picture of myself, then I feathered the selection (it will depend on the resolution of your own pic to determine hwo much to feather), then I used the distort plugin set to glass. I’m not saying it’s perfect but as a first go, it was OK(ish)
BC
B
BD
Nov 7, 2005
I’ve just tried a wee experiment.

Thanks for checking into it!

I may be able to use other tools to help – like maybe using some kind of a ‘smear’ tool, or even creating the ripple lines out by hand, and working it in as a layer with a layer mask to control the opacity.

Maybe some of the functions in Fractal Painter would be useful. Haven’t looked at that package in many a day…
FN
Flo Nelson
Nov 8, 2005
"BD" wrote in message
Hi all.

Try drawing a line(or lines), use filter > distort > ripple and then change the blending mode and opacity. Overlay seemed to create a nice heat wave effect in the file I tried. You could probably slightly erase parts to make it look more real.

Flo
B
BD
Nov 8, 2005
You could probably slightly erase parts to make it look more real.

or use a layer mask, I guess.

Thanks!
TN
Tom Nelson
Nov 8, 2005
You need some detail for the ripple effect to distort. Plain skin tone might not be textured enough.
Tom Nelson
B
BD
Nov 8, 2005
You need some detail for the ripple effect to distort. Plain skin tone

You’re right, I’m sure. I’m trying to picture in my mind how the actual physical effect works – its unlikely that the ‘real-world’ effect can be noticed if the background is one solid color.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections