Question for techies. Any effect on Photoshop from the WMF vulnerability?

A
Posted By
Amateur
Jan 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know what, if any, effect the newly discovered WMF vulnerability and the suggested workaround of disabling the Windows Picture and Fax viewer might have on Photoshop? For example, does Photoshop make use of the shimgvw.dll file?

Thanks for any insight

TRH

—The never ending adventure of running a Windows computer.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

ES
Etoin Shurdlu
Jan 4, 2006
"TRH" wrote in message
Does anyone know what, if any, effect the newly discovered WMF vulnerability and the suggested workaround of disabling the Windows Picture and Fax viewer might have on Photoshop? For example, does Photoshop make use of the shimgvw.dll file?

So change the name and see what happens.

The threat is overblown.
DF
Derek Fountain
Jan 4, 2006

So change the name and see what happens.

Windows File Protection will put it straight back. The correct action is to de-register the DLL.

The threat is overblown.

Since you don’t know what you’re talking about, how about shutting up?

The threat is extremely serious. It allows execution of arbitary code – virus, malware, spyware, rootkits, you name it. You don’t even need to click on anything to have this stuff executed. In fact, you don’t even need to view something – indexing software running on, say, your inbox, may run the exploit.

To answer the OP’s question, disabling the DLL appears to be safe with regard to Photoshop. I did so several days ago and haven’t seen any problems. Plus it’s easy to put back.

There’s an unofficial patch by Ilfak Guilfanov which you might want to consider applying as well – common wisdom is that the patch is safe and that Ilfak is a good guy. Since there’s a risk of getting a contaminated version, and since my Windows machine isn’t connected to the ‘net, I haven’t done that. Your decision.
HL
Harry Limey
Jan 4, 2006
"Derek Fountain" wrote in message
news:43bb8d6a$0$72817

The threat is extremely serious.

Derek, This one must have passed me by, is there a reference that I can look up in relation to this threat??

Harry
ES
Etoin Shurdlu
Jan 4, 2006
"Derek Fountain" wrote in message
Since you don’t know what you’re talking about, how about shutting up?

It has been in the wild for five months already.

The threat is extremely serious.

Only on slow news-days.

It allows execution of arbitary code –

So do many others.

And don’t tell me to "shut up", asshole.
DF
Derek Fountain
Jan 4, 2006
Derek, This one must have passed me by, is there a reference that I can look up in relation to this threat??

Plenty. Even the mainstream press has it:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/03/technology/windows_virusthre at/index.htm?cnn=yes http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,17727104%5E1 5306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html

If you’re after more technical information this is the link you need:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=994

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections