C
Posted By
callmekilo
Apr 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I used to use filters on a camera to, say, make the contrast between sky and coulds more pronounced. I am switching to a digital camera. Do I need filters? Or can I photoshop this effect? If so, how?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
nomail
Apr 2, 2004
David Kilo wrote:

I used to use filters on a camera to, say, make the contrast between sky and coulds more pronounced. I am switching to a digital camera. Do I need filters?

Not just for that.

Or can I photoshop this effect?

Yes.

If so, how?

There are many ways, including the new "Shadow/Highlight" function in Photoshop CS. If you use an older version: Use "Hue/Saturation" and darken the blue (and cyan) colors. If needed, select the sky first. "Curves" is another option.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
B
bigmatt304
Apr 2, 2004
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/index.html
This is a stand alone Freeware program called FilterSim, and some other freeware stuff.
While it is not photoshop I find some stuff well worth running through this program as I am an old style photo
buff. You know , that film and paper thing.
They also have some very nice stuff for getting out hotspots and cleaning up portriat faces.
Most of it freeware.
Hope it helps .
Harkord F.

"David Kilo" wrote in message
I used to use filters on a camera to, say, make the contrast between sky and coulds more pronounced. I am switching to a digital camera. Do I need filters? Or can I photoshop this effect? If so, how?
J
JJS
Apr 2, 2004

It’s elementary in Photoshop to almost all filtering _except_ polarizing. Get a polarizing filter for your lens and be happy.
C
callmekilo
Apr 3, 2004
What is a polarizing filter?

"jjs" …

It’s elementary in Photoshop to almost all filtering _except_ polarizing. Get a polarizing filter for your lens and be happy.
H
Hecate
Apr 3, 2004
On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:58:13 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

David Kilo wrote:

I used to use filters on a camera to, say, make the contrast between sky and coulds more pronounced. I am switching to a digital camera. Do I need filters?

Not just for that.

Or can I photoshop this effect?

Yes.

If so, how?

There are many ways, including the new "Shadow/Highlight" function in Photoshop CS. If you use an older version: Use "Hue/Saturation" and darken the blue (and cyan) colors. If needed, select the sky first. "Curves" is another option.

Or, create a new layer. Turn off the background layer. With black as your foreground colour, select foreground to transparent gradient and use a gradient fill from the top of the image down to where the sky hits the ground. Turn the background layer back on to see the effect. Use blending and select soft light and use the opacity slider to darken or lighten your "filter" to taste. Effectively, doing this, you#re providing yourself with a built in ND grad.

You can, of course, simulate most types of filter this way, including warm ups and cool filters by using different foreground colours and using the gradient in different ways.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Apr 3, 2004
On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:01:19 -0600, "jjs" wrote:

Except, if you’re using a polariser simply to increase saturation, then you can. The only thing you miss with not having a polariser is the change you can make on images due to reflection, usually from water or glass.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
J
john
Apr 3, 2004
In article ,
(David Kilo) wrote:

What is a polarizing filter?

Rather than me trying to explain it, maybe you can stop by a camera store and look through one. Rotate it as you look outdoors. Reflections on glass and water and other things (not steel) come and go, and if you have a clear blue sky, it will darken it when turned just right.
N
nomail
Apr 3, 2004
Hecate wrote:

Or, create a new layer. Turn off the background layer. With black as your foreground colour, select foreground to transparent gradient and use a gradient fill from the top of the image down to where the sky hits the ground. Turn the background layer back on to see the effect. Use blending and select soft light and use the opacity slider to darken or lighten your "filter" to taste. Effectively, doing this, you#re providing yourself with a built in ND grad.

But a ND filter doesn’t increase the contrast between clouds and sky. It only darkens everything. The OP wanted to ‘make the contrast between sky and coulds more pronounced’.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
H
Hecate
Apr 4, 2004
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 10:58:54 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Hecate wrote:

But a ND filter doesn’t increase the contrast between clouds and sky. It only darkens everything. The OP wanted to ‘make the contrast between sky and coulds more pronounced’.

I misread it as between sky and ground. For some reason 😉

Doh! 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections