JM
Posted By
John_McLean
Jul 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know this forum is probably full of this question, but let me ask again.

I am seriously looking at upgrading from Elements 2 to PS CS. Are there any upgrade specials going on at Adobe that lower the cost of obtaining CS to the $200 range or lower? I just cannot bring myself to pay $599 or that kind of money for CS, even though it is probably worth that much. I will NOT look for illegal means to obtain the program.

If there are any upgrades available that are not readily findable on the Adobe site I would appreciate the URL. Please no flames or such…if nothing is available just say so and I will put off my purchase until I can face writing a check for over $500…:-)

Thanks

Jack

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
brent_bertram
Jul 26, 2004
Check out this thread on the Photoshop forum. There are at least two current ways to get the $299 upgrade to Photoshop CS, if you buy some hardware. One of the purchases is a Wacom tablet for $99 . Look into them.
brent bertram "Will CS work with AMD Athlon 3200+?" 7/21/04 8:06am </cgi-bin/webx?13/4>

🙂

Brent
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 26, 2004
Jack,

Don’t worry about asking questions on this forum … we don’t flame anyone.

Good luck with trying to find a reasonably priced CS

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 26, 2004
Only flamin’ here is me flamin with jealousy. I want CS as well but no way can i afford it…well, i can pay $ 10 🙂
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 26, 2004
Jodi,

I thought you did some graphic art as a business. Can’t you write off the upgrade as a business expense? Keeping up with the competition…bla…bla…bla.

Terri
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 27, 2004
Terri, my business hasn’t taken off yet. Still in the hanger waitin’ for clearance. My fault tho. I haven’t been focused enough to fuel up the engines. There doesn’t appear to be enough hours in the day. The day will come tho when i will be able to request a ‘fly~by’ and it will be sweeeet. XD
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 27, 2004
Remember that if any of us are connected with an educational institution that we are eligible for this,
< http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?Par tNo=709730&qk_srch=adobe+creative+suite+premium>
Tiny URL is not working this morning, so just paste this long one in, or search.

It is worth contacting them to see if it applies to you, in my case my husband works at a non profit educational institution, with a graduate school connection, and so he qualifies.
I had no clue until I phoned them, all I had to do was email them a copy of his employee ID badge. The process also is in our classroom instructions at Eclectic Academy.
There might be restrictions about using the software for profit, but I am only a beginner, so I never read that part. It is full version stuff.
Jane
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 28, 2004
The educational software can’t be used for profit – personal use only, and is non-transferable but it is upgradable (just using the normal upgrade edition) and when you do upgrade to the next version it takes on the full license. Yes I read the license carefully as I have some hopes of playing with photoshop on a professional basis in the future and I didn’t want to be breaking any of the rules!)
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 28, 2004
Hi Susan, Thanks for clarifying this, I never got around to reading it. I have no commercial thoughts as I am completely retired, and this and my grandkids take up all my time.
I shall purchase this soon,,,,,
Jane
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Jul 28, 2004
Jodi – I think your pictures are absolutely wonderful, no matter that they aren’t created with "big brother" Photoshop. You have an imagination and the exceptional skills to go with it that can never be discovered inside a box of software. You are a true inspiration, especially to those of us who can’t afford the CS route. I know that someday you, too, will hop on the upgrade ladder; but in the meantime, I will continue to be amazed by what you produce with "little brother" Elements.

Marilyn
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 28, 2004
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Jodi does have Photoshop 7, right? That’s how she made all those cool frames that she shared with us awhile back.

To Jodi: Whether you use one or the other, you are definitely gifted in art and imagination! 🙂

Patti
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 28, 2004
Marilyn, thank you so much for your words of encouragement and inspiration ! I truly appreciate it. You are indeed one of my Challenge heros as well. No doubt ya got it !

Patti, I made the styles and frames in PS6 so that they would work for both pe1 and pe2 users. I love my pe1 and I went out and bought ps6 just so that I could make and save my own styles….that was the only reason. Pe1 and ps6 are generally the same except for ps6 has few extra tools. I do have ps7 as well which again is basically the same as Elements.." with a few extra ‘more’ tools "( better for photo correction and restoration ) … Most of my artwork is still done with pe1. I do plan on upgrading to pe3 when it finally hits the shelf tho.
JM
John_McLean
Jul 28, 2004
Thanks for the input. I have decided to stay with PE2 and wait and see what they do with PE3 when (and if) that appears on the scene.

Jack

wrote in message
I know this forum is probably full of this question, but let me ask again.
I am seriously looking at upgrading from Elements 2 to PS CS. Are there
any
upgrade specials going on at Adobe that lower the cost of obtaining CS to the $200 range or lower? I just cannot bring myself to pay $599 or that kind of money for CS, even though it is probably worth that much. I will NOT look for illegal means to obtain the program.

If there are any upgrades available that are not readily findable on the Adobe site I would appreciate the URL. Please no flames or such…if nothing is available just say so and I will put off my purchase until I
can
face writing a check for over $500…:-)

Thanks

Jack

LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 28, 2004
One of the nice things in CS will probably be in PE3: the option to turn the crop tool 90% in just one click.
This saves me quite some time and I am very happy with it.

BTW, I happen to know why they did incorporate this option in CS: because I asked for it in the Elements forum. 😉
Just notice how important we are! 😉

Leen
J
jhjl1
Jul 28, 2004
Why would you want a 90% rotation on the crop tool Leen? Did you by chance mean degrees, I can see where that would be helpful in some situations.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
One of the nice things in CS will probably be in PE3: the option to
turn the crop tool 90% in just one click.
This saves me quite some time and I am very happy with it.
BTW, I happen to know why they did incorporate this option in CS:
because I asked for it in the Elements forum. 😉
Just notice how important we are! 😉

Leen
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 28, 2004
Leen,

Are you talking about the straighten and crop feature?
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 28, 2004
I apologise, it is 90 degrees of course.

This tool is very handy when I have to crop lots of images, all to the same size and resolution, usually some are landscape, some are portrait. Now I can open a file and crop each image very quickly instead of first selecting the landscape ones, crop these and next select the portrait ones and crop these. I always used to make mistakes.

Leen
J
jhjl1
Jul 28, 2004
That makes sense. I was trying to figure what it the world you were doing that would require a 90% rotation. I thought maybe it was a professional secret you were about to let out of your bag of tricks. LOL

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I apologise, it is 90 degrees of course.

This tool is very handy when I have to crop lots of images, all to the
same size and resolution, usually some are landscape, some are portrait. Now I can open a file and crop each image very quickly instead of first selecting the landscape ones, crop these and next select the portrait ones and crop these. I always used to make mistakes.
Leen
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 28, 2004
James, if it was a secret, I wouldnot have told anyone. 😉

My experiences with CS until now: there are some really nice features like the shadow/highlight control, I really love it, but if you cannot buy it at a reduced price and you aren’t using it professionally, I would stick to PSE.
Moreover, often I switch back to PSE as it works often much faster on my machine. Today I have been working almost all day on enhancing about 30 wedding images in CS. I saved these images as TIFFs and tomorrow after working on another 15, I will do the final touch in PSE to save time.

Leen
E
E._Gary_Heaton
Jul 29, 2004
Leen,
I was just wondering what make/model of camera you use to shoot your wedding photos, and which are your most used lenses? Just curious is all.
Gary~*
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 29, 2004
Gary,

In the days before digital I used a Mamiya 645 with 35,45,80,110,150 and 210 mm lenses and a Minolta Dynax (Maxxum) 9 and 7 with several lenses, mostly the 24-105 zoom.

Januari 2003 I switched to digital with a Fuji S2 Pro dSLR, a Tamron 24-135 zoomlens and , quite often, the 1.8/50 mm Nikon lens.
At this years Photokina in Cologne I will buy a second dSLR, either the Kodak SLR/n or the Fuji S3 or something else, depending what will be announced at this trade fair. I considered the Hasselblad H1 with digital back, but I realised my customers wouldnot see the difference. As I unfortunately didnot marry a member of the Heinz family, I have to take care there will be a decent return on investment. 😉

Processing the images is done in PSE and CS. I love the RAW file converter in CS and some other features, but often prefer the speed of PSE. So I am partially processing the images in CS, do the final touch in PSE and resize for a printing file in CS.

A standard wedding of about 80-100 images takes me 40-50 hours from start to finish. It is extremely underpaid, but I love to do it.
It is such a wonderful job to record the love between two people. Unfortunately sometimes the images last longer than love does. One of my customers, my faithful record holder, should have 5 different albums with images of him and 5 different brides. I haven’t seen him lately, I wonder what’s going on. 😉

Leen
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 29, 2004
Leen,

Finally, found a reference in a PS book in a tip side bar about the crop swap width and height button. Very handy. I guess this is what you were discussing with the 90 degree rotation. I’m really glad I saw your post. I don’t think I’d have stumbled across this feature on my own or have know to search in my PS books to locate this great feature.

Terri
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 29, 2004
I didnot know either, but a colleague told me he was so enthousiastic about this "crops wap width and height button".
I suppose he read part of his manual, mine is still in plastic. 😉

Today I had to crop over about 100 images to 5×7 for printing and it saved me quite some time.

Leen

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections