RF
Posted By
Robert_F_Carruth
Jul 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Although we enjoy a massive balloon launch (120 yesterday) the most fun is if you can find a landing among a bunch of spectators. In this case in a shopping center parking lot. Fortunately the winds were very light.

<http://www.pbase.com/rfclvnj/balloons_01>

I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll ever get another clear sky shoot.

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 25, 2004
Bob,

What a great set of photographs … the colours of the balloons are brilliant.

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 25, 2004
wow ! cool Robert ! Lucky them i would say ! Any vehicles get damaged ? How would you explain ‘that’ to your insurance company !
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 26, 2004
Bob, was that the Balloon Festival at Solberg Airport?? I used to live minutes from there and had some great shots from underneath the balloons one time.. Brings back some nice memories….

Chuck
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 26, 2004
Hi Bob, Your pictures are so clear and colourful!
That must be fun as long as you steer clear of the powerlines. When they do it around here they try for a clear day with light wind and head out over the ocean but stay close to land. *vfr*
We are subject to lots of wind here, so have to be very careful. Jane
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jul 26, 2004
Wendy, Thanks, but they had a little help from PE. Just too lousy a day.

Jodi, It was close but that pilot could have landed on an egg without breaking it.

Chuck, Thought you might recognize the event. The balloon landed at the intersection of 523 and 22 in Whitehouse Station. Another 70 yards and he would have been on 22.

A fun day.

Bob
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 26, 2004
Years ago when i was little ( XD )the self proclaimed handglider pilots would jumped off the edge of the mountain and soar like majestic eagles….but they were always landing in the streets below. I imagine it’s probably againts the law now.
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jul 26, 2004
Jodi,

Some years ago about 2/3rds of the way up Mt. Washington’s (New Hampshire) auto road I was startled by a hang glider aimed straight at me. He shot straight up for a few hundred feet on the rising air currents and turned away to soar over the valley below. We stopped at the next turnout to watch. There were 3 of them constantly returning to the same spot to ride the lift and stay aloft (probably for as long as they had the strength to continue). Ah, to fly with the eagles; let’s hope that that never becomes illegal.

Bob
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 26, 2004
Hi Bob, We climbed Mt. Washington years ago, and thought wouldn’t that be fun to fly over. But I know I would be chicken to hang glide it. We did go up in a little single engine plane with a friend of my brother in law, and got some awesome pictures. Now if I could only find them.
We did see some people hang gliding on Palomar, and they had lost communication with one of their group. They were asking everybody to look for the missing guy.

We will be going up to visit again in a couple of weeks to NH, and at our age now, we stick to the tram going up Cannon mt. Took 2 of our grandkids up last year.
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 26, 2004
did I say ‘hand’ glide…duh
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jul 26, 2004
Jane,

After reading the warnings about hypothermia in August we elected to drive. That’s bad enough. When Hang Gliding first started I was really interested. Then I read an article that said "Don’t fly higher than you’re willing to fall." Didn’t think it would be much fun at 4 to 6 feet of altitude so I never tried.

Have not been back to NH for a while. Maybe we’ll detour on the way back from Maine this September. Wonder if Conway has motels that take pets?

Jodi,

Yes you did… but even this nitpicker didn’t catch it till you brought it up.

Bob
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 26, 2004
Bob, there are a number of travel guides written for pet owners; here’s a link to amazon.com’s page that serves as a gateway to a few choices.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1562514067/qid =1090884618/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-2084984-34231 64?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Chuck
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jul 26, 2004
Chuck,

Thanks for the link. We don’t always take the pup but she does join us in Maine. Once there she stays in her own "pet motel" (a very nice kennel) from 5 pm to 9 am and spends the day with us. Gives us a chance to have some nice evenings out without leaving her in the car. Going and coming we need a "stay with us" solution.

Bob
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 27, 2004
We have found a bunch of B+Bs which let you bring pets, but like the book link, you have to make arrangements ahead of time.
We have relatives and family houses all thru northern New England, so dont have a problem there, but other parts of USA, we have to research carefully.
If we left her in the car, she would howl, so one of us would have to sleep in the car with her, plenty of room as we have a Suburban, but I would rather be inside with the dog on her bed at the foot of our bed. Plus, I am afraid of bears, and want more than a car door between me and those hungry thingies looking for our coolers.
Jane

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections