DS
Posted By
Dr_Strik9
Feb 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop CS on a Dual 1-Ghz G4, with 1.5 Gb ram. My startup disk has over 12 Gb free, and my second disk has over 37 Gb free.

But when attempting to simply crop an image, I am getting a dialog that tells me my scratch disks are full, and the operation cannot be completed.

What can I do???

Thanks for any help,
Michael

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Feb 23, 2004
Go into prefs and see where is the scratch disk??

What drive is it on??

Now how much free space on that drive?

12 GB is not that much if your SWAP files and the photoshop scratch disk are on the same drive.
DS
Dr_Strik9
Feb 23, 2004
Of course I have my TWO drives selected as the scratch disks.

They have a total of over 52 Gb free at the moment, and even after a FULL RESTART Photoshop CS is non-operational because of this "full scratch disks" error message.

The error message is ERRONEOUS. I’ve been working on huge images every day, untill suddenly today, it refuses to work any longer. :-(((

So where is this SWAP file you speak of? (And if it’s somehow miraculously over 52 Gb in size, why doesn’t it show up in the Finder’s calculation of free disk space?) OS X 10.3.2.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help,
Michael
DS
Dr_Strik9
Feb 23, 2004
Something is definitely wrong with Photoshop CS. Everything works perfectly in Photoshop 7.01.

Where do I report bugs?

Michael
AW
Allen_Wicks
Feb 23, 2004
Unfortunately you don’t know that is a bug yet. Certainly installation anomalies are way more common. It is a pain, but you need to reinstall PS. First though try a full restart after setting PS RAM allocation at 65%.
B
Buko
Feb 23, 2004
and trash PS prefs
B
Buko
Feb 23, 2004
the system swap file is on the system drive. its virtual memory.

don’t set that drive as a PS scratch disk
R
Ram
Feb 23, 2004
Michael,

As Buko says, the swap file is the one used by OS X on your boot up drive. For that reason, it’s better not to designate your startup drive as a Photoshop scratch disk. Even if you had a lot more available disk space on your boot up drive, having the Photoshop scratch disk on the same drive would at least slow you down. Partitioning the boot drive wouldn’t help you either, since there is only one set of read/write heads on the disk.

Try deleting caches and performing all the troubleshooting steps suggested in the previous post.
R
Ram
Feb 23, 2004
And, yes, depending on several factors like image size, number of history states, layers, etc., it is conceivable that under the worst circumstances a larger than 37GB scratch disk may be created.
DS
Dr_Strik9
Feb 24, 2004
Well, my ram usage has been set at 65% all along. I tried specifying the boot drive OUT of the scratch disk list, but still no joy.

Already did the total restart thing several times (each time I changed things). I’ve been using Photoshop CS for a couple of months now, and suddenly this problem crops up today, so I seriously doubt it’s an installation issue. Before I do that, I’ll trash the prefs and see if that helps.

If it doesn’t, I’ll go ahead and do the reinstall. That would be a FIRST for me. I have NEVER had to reinstall an application in the 18 years I’ve been using Macs — oh, there was one exception: Windows 98SE in Virtual PC had to be reinstalled twice. Big surprise. But Photoshop??? Never.

At least Photoshop 7 works perfectly! — and the boot drive is IN the scratch disk list in 7.01.

Go figure. :-/ It does smell like either a disk error or a bug.

Michael
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2004
Of course the boot drive is on the list. Some users have no other drive. Besides, it can be necessary to reassign the scratch disk to the boot drive for a number of reasons, like failure of the other drives.
DS
Dr_Strik9
Feb 24, 2004
Trashing the prefs didn’t work.

On to reinstall, begrudgingly. What happens if this fails?

Is there some way to find possibly undeleted scratch files that obviously aren’t showing up in the disk space calculations?

Thanks,
Michael
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 24, 2004
Undeleted scratch files still show up in the disk space calculations.
DS
Dr_Strik9
Feb 24, 2004
The re-install did the trick. Very strange . . .

Thanks for everyone who helped me with this problem ! ! ! :-)))))))

Best Regards,
Michael

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections