D
Posted By
dub
Feb 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m an old hand at photoshop, but I never have been able to figure out how to make my drawings done with ink on paper look nice in photoshop. What I would like to know is if you can import simple pen work or pencil work and create nice finished Ink Work like in Comic Books using photoshop tools.

My usual routine is to scan in a drawing, then crank up the contrast to get rid of the paper and smudges. I then paint color on layers above the drawing layer. This works pretty well, but I feel like the scanned in pen lines are too cruddy. I want lines that have varying thickness, and I want to be able to create them in photoshop. I feel like when I try to make really thick lines on paper, they ink bleeds a bit and then looks cruddy when scanned.

I’m looking for advice, website links, magazine articles, books, or whatever. Unfortuntately the search terms are so vague that it brings up a bazillion hits when I just search the web.

thanx

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jjs
Feb 7, 2005
"dub" wrote in message
I’m an old hand at photoshop, but I never have been able to figure out how to make my drawings done with ink on paper look nice in photoshop. What I would like to know is if you can import simple pen work or pencil work and create nice finished Ink Work like in Comic Books using photoshop tools.

Depending upon the style of pen strokes, Smart Blur might work for you.
R
RSD99
Feb 7, 2005
What resolution are you using for your scans? For linework … you should be scanning at something like 1200 ppi

"dub" wrote in message

My usual routine is to scan in a drawing, then crank up the contrast to get rid of the paper and smudges. I then paint color on layers above the drawing layer. This works pretty well, but I feel like the scanned in pen lines are too cruddy. I want lines that have varying thickness, and I want to be able to create them in photoshop. I feel like when I try to make really thick lines on paper, they ink bleeds a bit and then looks cruddy when scanned.

I’m looking for advice, website links, magazine articles, books, or whatever. Unfortuntately the search terms are so vague that it brings up a bazillion hits when I just search the web.

thanx
D
dub
Feb 7, 2005
RSD99 wrote:
What resolution are you using for your scans? For linework … you
should
be scanning at something like 1200 ppi

If I’m not doing any print stuff, just web stuff, why should I scan it in at such high res?
R
RSD99
Feb 8, 2005
In your first posting, you said:
"…
This works pretty well, but I feel like the scanned in pen lines are too cruddy
…."

I then posted:
"…
you should be scanning at something like 1200 ppi
…."

Then you asked:
"…
why should I scan it in at such high res?

…."

Don’t you see the obvious relationship, the relationship between (the low) resolution of your drawing and the "lines are too cruddy?"

"dub" wrote in message
If I’m not doing any print stuff, just web stuff, why should I scan it in at such high res?
WO
Wizard of Draws
Feb 8, 2005
On 2/7/05 3:43 AM, in article
, "dub"
wrote:

thanx

I’ve just started working on a monthly PDF newsletter that gives a few insights into my workflow that you might find helpful:
http://www.wizardofdraws.com/main/newsletter.htm

If you want varying lines in the original artwork without actually inking on paper, you’ll have to use a tablet. Otherwise you’re stuck with pen & ink, although I won’t say that’s bad since I work that way.

Jeff ‘The Wizard of Draws’ Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com
B
Brian
Feb 8, 2005
jjs wrote:

"dub" wrote in message

Depending upon the style of pen strokes, Smart Blur might work for you.
Have you thought of using Illustrator at all Dub? It is more suited to what you are trying to achieve here.

Brian
N
Noexcuseforanick
Feb 9, 2005
Illustrator all the way, for this.

I found a pretty cool tut aimed @ comic artists

http://www.pensnpixels.com/tutorials/digink.htm

I don’t do much vector myself because Illustrator Is The Devil but this seems to be what your talking about, I think maybe yes?

This is my first post here, BTW……so, like, HI!
K
Knights
Feb 11, 2005
I did this with a scanned drawing
http://www.knight-studios.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=- 41

let me know if you want help
D
dub
Feb 13, 2005
Hey people, thanks so much for all your helpful advice! I’m absolutely impressed and inspired! I love you all!

Dub

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections