MB
Posted By
Mrs Beeble Brock
Jun 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Help! I cannot open Photoshop because my scratch disks are apparently full.

Have done a search on the problem but the only advice I can find is to do a disk cleanup (I’ve deleted all my .tmp files), and to direct PS to use another area of my disk for scratch disk but since I can’t even start it, this is impossible.

Grateful for any advice.

Jo

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

F
fatsnacks
Jun 21, 2004
That is a problem if you only have one hardrive on your system. I keep two hardrives on my
system. Each one is partitioned into two so that the computer thinks I have four hardrives. I have
Photoshop assigned not only to the main drive for scratch, but two of those partitions have been
created just for Photoshop.

If you only have one drive, it appears that you may have to opt for an external drive if you have
USB. Or install a second drive internally. You’ve done the best logical thing and if you still have
the problem, the only other solution I can think of is to BURN some of your files onto CDR.

Hope this helps out.

-FATSNACKS.COM

"Mrs Beeble Brock" wrote in message
Help! I cannot open Photoshop because my scratch disks are apparently
full.
Have done a search on the problem but the only advice I can find is to do a disk cleanup (I’ve deleted all my .tmp files), and to direct PS to use another area of my disk for scratch disk but since I can’t even start it, this is impossible.

Grateful for any advice.

Jo
DT
Deco_time
Jun 21, 2004
In news:Mrs Beeble Brock typed:

Grateful for any advice.

Jo

Delete the preference file.

www.odysea.ca
MB
Mrs Beeble Brock
Jun 21, 2004
Thanks for your replies. I feel very stupid: It turns out that I’d filled one of my partitions, so have spent the last four hours burning stuff to cd and transferring other stuff to the other partitioned areas. PS is working nicely again.

It doesn’t take long to fill 60 gig.

Jo

Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

Grateful for any advice.

Jo
H
Hecate
Jun 22, 2004
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:33:31 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
wrote:

Thanks for your replies. I feel very stupid: It turns out that I’d filled one of my partitions, so have spent the last four hours burning stuff to cd and transferring other stuff to the other partitioned areas. PS is working nicely again.

No it doesn’t :). When finances allow, get one of those nice Maxtor external firewire hard disks and use that for storage. Not as quick as an internal drive, but it gets your images off your computer and allows you to access them on any other computer if the worst comes to the worst and your computer crashes and burns. 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
MB
Mrs Beeble Brock
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks Hecate – good suggestion for the future.

(checking that I’ve got the right thread 😉

Jo

Hecate wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:33:31 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock
wrote:

No it doesn’t :). When finances allow, get one of those nice Maxtor external firewire hard disks and use that for storage. Not as quick as an internal drive, but it gets your images off your computer and allows you to access them on any other computer if the worst comes to the worst and your computer crashes and burns. 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
TB
the_bulldog
Jun 25, 2004
In article ,
says…

Jo

Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

Grateful for any advice.

You are correct about a 60GB HDD getting filled up quickly. One consideration you might make is to add an additional HDD, as was suggested earlier. This will allow partitions to be used only as Scratch Disk space. Also, having PS and its Scratch Disk(s) on separate physical HDD’s speeds it up over having both on the same physical drive, regardless of how you logical drives are configured.

By adding a large second HDD, you can create partitions just for Scratch Disks (what is CS’s SD upper limit? In 7.x you could go 4x4GB, as I recall), then you have additional space for your images to be stored on and PS & your OS are on a separate physical HDD.

Glad you got your immediate problem handled.

Also, if you have any/many PS crashes, your scratch disk .TMP file will still be on that partition, and will need to be removed, though it appears that you looked and acted there first.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections