Posted By
simonray
Jan 9, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey forum users.

I’ve just upgraded to CS3 photoshop and have noticed different behaviour with the guides.

One of my most used features was how the guide would automatically snap to the centre of the canvas [vertical or horizontal].

I’ve all the snap commands on and it’s not doing it.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

Simon

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
T._Schmidt
Jan 10, 2009
Can’t remember how it was in CS2 but I usually do it like this:

1. Record an action with keyboard shortcut, choose View > New Guide… > Horizontal/Vertical and in the field you enter "50%". Now you just hit F-something and there is your guide.

2. Another way is to Opt+Double Click the Background Layer and hit Cmd+T (Free Transform). Then you can drag the guides from the Rulers in and make them snap to the middles (vertically and horizontally).
S
simonray
Jan 12, 2009
Thanks for that.

The "new guide" way is a great workaround.

Simon
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 13, 2009
The old snapping behaviour hasnt changed. If you drag a guide out – it still will snap to the centre of a layer. Make sure "snap" is on, and that your layer is floating. Also check your snap settings. I think Document bounds needs to be on. Might also help to turn Smart Guides off.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections