Posted By
Pete_Deininger
Feb 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings,

I’m trying to make a very (basic) precise selection on my page. I have some guides pulled out onto the page and they form the rectangle that I would like to select. I have View>Snap checked, as well as View>Snap to…>Guides. But when i use the Rectangular Marquee tool and start very close to the top-left corner created from my guides, pulling to the bottom-right corner I am getting funny results. When I Zoom into the image very closely I see that the selection is not lining up with my Guides…. it’s a pixel or two outside the guide on the left, but right ON the guide on the right. If it were short on the right by the same amount (which has happened in the past) then i could just *nudge* the selection to the right and have it match up on both sides…. but NO DICE!

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong to prevent this selection from matching perfectly with my guides? I also noticed that my guides are NOT set to fall between pixels (if that makes any sense). They line up precisely with numbers on the ruler along the top and left edges.

Thanks for any ideas! It’s often the simple things that leave me wondering where I left that bottle of bourbon…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Feb 5, 2007
Sounds like your selection is trying to split a fraction of a pixel. You can place a guide in the middle of a pixel, but you can’t select half a pixel, for instance.
PD
Pete_Deininger
Feb 5, 2007
Yes, i thought that perhaps that was the case, but I checked (by zooming in to 1600%) and my guides all rest clearly on one of the hash-marks of the ruler…. a whole number, if you will. Not on a fraction of a pixel.

Thank you for your idea! Any other suggestions are most welcome.

-Pedro
R
Ram
Feb 5, 2007
If your ruler is not set to pixels instead of inches or mm, the hash marks mean diddly squat.
PD
Pete_Deininger
Feb 5, 2007
thankfully, my rulers are set to pixels… and therefore each hash mark represents a pixel and not a "diddly squat". (that’s a new unit of measure, isn’t it?)
R
Ram
Feb 6, 2007
It’s old as the hills. Nothing as effective as having to extract information piecemeal from a smart-aleck poster to make one wonder why we sometimes bother.
PD
Pete_Deininger
Feb 6, 2007
hehehe… i was only playing along with what i *thought* was your light-hearted joking around about the rulers…

I didn’t know you got up on the wrong side of the cave today…

But thanks for your time, I really do appreciate it.
P
Phosphor
Feb 6, 2007
Ramon doesn’t "do" light-hearted.
R
Ram
Feb 6, 2007
Deininger,

You must be used to thinking in those terms because your mother lives in a cave, but be assured that I have absolutely nothing to do with caves other than admiring the prehistoric paintings in Spain and France.

Next time you feel inclined to make cave jokes, maybe your mother would be receptive.
R
Ram
Feb 6, 2007
That being said, please explain to those who may remain interested in helping you whether your marquee is set to "normal" or to a fixed aspect ratio or measurement. If not set to Normal, the chosen aspect ratio may very well preclude the exact pixelwise positioning of the selection.
PD
Pete_Deininger
Feb 6, 2007
hahaha…. ok, Ramon…

Thanks for spending your time here with helpful ideas! This community is fortunate to have your thoughtful ideas…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections