DH
Posted By
Dennis Hughes
Jul 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a rectangular sign, one layer only, that I have put guides bordering the four sides. I hvae done this very precisely at 700+ magnification in order to have the exact pixels.

When I use the marquee tool to add a rectangular selection inside th guides, fitting the guides exactly, the top horizontal selection jumps one px above the top horiz guide. The left border of the selection stays on the guide.

I have all the "snap to" items checked.

Any idea what is causing this?

Thanks,

Dennis

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

E
edjh
Jul 13, 2005
Dennis Hughes wrote:
I have a rectangular sign, one layer only, that I have put guides bordering the four sides. I hvae done this very precisely at 700+ magnification in order to have the exact pixels.

When I use the marquee tool to add a rectangular selection inside th guides, fitting the guides exactly, the top horizontal selection jumps one px above the top horiz guide. The left border of the selection stays on the guide.

Thanks,

Dennis
Are you sure your guides fall on exact pixel dimensions? In other words, guides can be anywhere, but the marquee must be on a whole pixel increment. It can’t be between two pixels (there are no half pixels allowed). Try nudging with the arrow keys and see if you can get it exact.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
DH
Dennis Hughes
Jul 13, 2005
At 1600x I checked the guide and it is right on.

I used the pencil tool at 1 px and added a line of horiz pixels adjacent to the top of the shape and the guide appears right on the line between the two colors.

BUT, when I move the guide just a hair down so I can see some of the shape’s color just above the guide, the marquee selection snaps into its proper place.

Maybe this is a bug of some sort.

Thanks for the insightful thought. Moving the guide solves my problem, but brings up a Photoshop problem.

Dennis

"edjh" wrote in message
Dennis Hughes wrote:

Thanks,

Dennis
Are you sure your guides fall on exact pixel dimensions? In other words, guides can be anywhere, but the marquee must be on a whole pixel increment. It can’t be between two pixels (there are no half pixels allowed). Try nudging with the arrow keys and see if you can get it exact.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
FN
Flo Nelson
Jul 13, 2005
"Dennis Hughes" wrote in message

I used the pencil tool at 1 px and added a line of horiz pixels adjacent to the top of the shape and the guide appears right on the line between the two colors.

BUT, when I move the guide just a hair down so I can see some of the shape’s color just above the guide, the marquee selection snaps into its proper place.

Thanks for the insightful thought. Moving the guide solves my problem, but brings up a Photoshop problem.

I’ve experienced something similar – when I turned all snapping off, I was able to draw the marquee precisely – go figure.

Flo
C
Corey
Jul 18, 2005
"Flo Nelson" wrote in message

I’ve experienced something similar – when I turned all snapping off, I was able to draw the marquee precisely – go figure.

Flo

Do you have a feathering value entered for the Marquee Tool?

Peadge 🙂
DH
Dennis Hughes
Jul 23, 2005
I have 0 entered.

Dennis
"Peadge" wrote in message
"Flo Nelson" wrote in message

I used the pencil tool at 1 px and added a line of horiz pixels adjacent
to the top of the shape and the guide appears right on the line between the two colors.

BUT, when I move the guide just a hair down so I can see some of the shape’s color just above the guide, the marquee selection snaps into its
proper place.

I’ve experienced something similar – when I turned all snapping off, I was
able to draw the marquee precisely – go figure.

Flo

Do you have a feathering value entered for the Marquee Tool?
Peadge 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections