M
Posted By
mrmrcoleman
May 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. I have 64 100×215 pixel images which I need to paste into a 800×1720 pixel 8×8 gridded image. I have created the grid fine using guides and I have selected ‘Snap to guides’ however I have come into a problem.

The 64 images that I am copying and pasting into the grid contain mainly alpha information. i.e. there is a lot of nothing in them especially around the edges.

When I do ‘select all’ on the sources image I see a dashed black line around the rectangular edge of the image as I would expect, but when I then copy and paste this into the larger image I cannot get the image to snap properly.

For some reason Photoshop is making the Bounding Box of the pasted layer just outside the non-transparent area in the source selection instead of being the whole 100×215 area.

Can anybody tell me how I can paste a selection which contains alpha at the borders into another image whilst retaining the full boundary of the original selection?

Kind regards,

Mark Coleman

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AT
Apple_Tom
May 30, 2005
Mr. Mrcoleman – I think I know what you are looking for, and there are two ways to achieve it.

Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C will select the entire image and place it in your clipboard. Now, set your marquee tool to 100×215 pixels, then (in the 800×1720 document) select the area you want the image to be centered into. Ctrl-V should drop it where you want it.

Method 2 – You have used your guidelines to make ‘boxes’ where you want your images to go. If you make guidelines that cross exactly in the center of each box, both H and V, then remove the original guidelines, you will be able to have your small images ‘snap’ to the intersection of any two guides. This will only work if your original images are centered in the 100×215 canvas.

One more thing that will work – Add a new layer at the bottom of each of the 100×215 images. Fill this layer with purple. Link all layers. Drag/drop to the big document. Use the Move Tool (with the purple layer selected) and they will ‘stick’ to your guidelines. Go in and delete all the purple layers.
M
mrmrcoleman
May 30, 2005
Thank you. With that I’ve cracked it…!

Mark Coleman

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections