RH
Posted By
Ray_Hodge
Jul 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have only one file open in PhotoShop Elements, and it is a B&W (grayscale) photo. I have used the Brightness/Contrast command to make enhancements to it. The lower part of the picture needs further adjustments of this nature, so I have selected it with the Rectangular Marquee tool, and the marquee shows. The problem is that while the marquee is showing, the Enhance menu is completely dimmed out and I can’t do anything with the selected area. I have done a lot of experimenting, but nothing seems to make any difference. Can someone please tell me how to resolve this situation?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 20, 2004
Try changing the image to RGB Color (Image>Mode>RGB Color). You’ll have a whole lot more choices of enhancements.
RH
Ray_Hodge
Jul 20, 2004
Chuck, after reading your post I used PSE to open a BMP color photo, saved it as a psd file, then converted it to Grayscale mode. I could use the Enhance menu on the entire picture. Then I selected a portion of it with the Rectangular selection tool, and the marquee appeared. The entire Enhance menu was still available so that I could make enhancements to the selected area. This is now a grayscale image and everything works fine.

On the other hand, the picture I am trying to work on was taken with non-color film in 1945. I scanned it with the scanner set for grayscale, and saved it as a BMP file. Then I opened it with PSE and converted it to a psd file. After that I could use the Enhancements menu to make changes to the entire image, but when I then select an area and try to make changes to only that area, I cannot because the entire Enhancements menu is dimmed out.

In the first situation above, I can use the Enhance menu to work on a selected area, but in the second situation I cannot. What is wrong? I have only recently installed PSE, and this is the first time I have tried to use it.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 20, 2004
Ray, even when you convert your bitmap to psd I do believe it is still recognized as ‘ grayscale ‘ which limits editing. So as Chuck mentioned…convert to RGB mode….>image>mode>RGB.
RH
Ray_Hodge
Jul 20, 2004
Jodi and Chuck, you are right. Just now I converted this file to RGB, which did not seem to change its appearance, then clicked on Enhance, and the Enhance commands are now present. Thanks very much! I had not noticed this limitation of grayscale in the manual that came with the program. Is it in there someplace or did they just not mention it?

Anyway, thanks again. I was completely stopped at this point.

Ray Hodge
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 20, 2004
Ray, I’m glad it worked with a nudge from Jodi. The manual mentions many of the features and limitations of the program but far from all of them. That’s why there are so many aftermarket books, online tutorials, and people populating this forum 24/7…!

🙂

Chuck

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections