Posted By
Les_Thurmond
Jul 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello-
This is frustrating! I’ve scanned in a photo in TIFF & PSD – Trying to make the darned Contrast/Brightness & Sharpen work after I’ve lassoed an item in the photo. I haven’t had this problem lately – Until now. Further, I’ve been able to eventually fix this in the past by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Shift at the same time very quickly when I first bring up Elements.

I know somebody out there has got to know how to do this. Please help.

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

ML
Mark_Levesque
Jul 18, 2004
Is there only one layer, or are there several? This kind of weirdness seems to occur most frequently when you don’t have the right layer active.
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 18, 2004
Mark-
I’m not sure. I haven’t been doing anything with layers yet, & to my knowledge, I don’t know if I’ve accidentally created more than one or not. I know that I haven’t intentionally created any. I guess you start with one just after saving it, don’t you? I’ll have to see if I can figure out whether or not I have more than one. Many Thanks.
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 18, 2004
Les,

Also, a good beginning step is to double click the Background layer initially to rename it Layer 0 (as the default offers) as all editing functions are not viable on a "Background" layer.
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 18, 2004
Les,

Grab hold of the tab for "Layers" up in the right hand corner of screen and drag it down to your work area, now you can see the layers. Highlighting one makes it active.
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 18, 2004
Nancy-

I did drag the "Layers" tab onto the photo, & when I released it, a small window poped up showing a blue area to the right that had a padlock logo that seems to indicate that the layer might be locked. I tried to do anything with it – but to no avail. Also, I can’t seem to find this "Background layer" you’re talking about to be able to initialize it to zero.
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 18, 2004
Nancy-

I followed your instructions again, & when I drag the tab down to the work area & release, it doesn’t show the layers, because it’s obviously locked. I printed out some of the help instructions & tried them, too. They don’t seem to tell you how to unlock the layers. I tried dragging accross the column (over the eye), but nothing happened. And as far as zeroing (default) – I found the option, but it wouldn’t let me do anything – I guess, because it’s locked. But there’s a positive to this. I’m being forced to learn it by doing it – And, of course, with your help – And also, thanks to you Mark. I’ll keep trying until I make something happen.
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 18, 2004
Oh, one other thing-

I had made a couple of other copies of the photo – Of course with different names, but recently deleted one at a time – To see what would happen. Nothing new. So now I’m going to delete everything & re-scan the photo. Perhaps there’s something that I can catch through this process.
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 18, 2004
Nancy & Mark-

I did it! I think this is what happened – While I was in the process of scanning in the photo, I noticed that in my Epson Twain scanning Utility there was an optioned that had already defaulted to "Unsharp Mask" (Which was checked). So, I unchecked it (And that unsharpened it) – and Bam! I would imagine that when adobe picked up that it was sharpened by another app, it just got jealous. Anyway, I’m going back again a couple more times – checking & unchecking that option – to prove it.

Thanks Again & Regards
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 19, 2004
Les,

I have never experienced a problem in PSE whether I scanned with Epson Unsharp Mask or not, but…if unchecking it solved your problem, then OK (though it doesn’t make any sense to me). You would want it UNchecked anyway, best to leave sharpening as the last part of your editing in PSE.

All images when first opened consist of one layer, called "Background". Background is just the name assigned to a freshly opened file by PSE, it doesn’t mean background in the sense that there is a foreground too. First task when editing an image…
* have the Layers Palette open on your workarea
* double click the one and only layer showing in the palette called "Background" (layer will show a closed padlock until you double click/rename it)
* accept the offer to rename it Layer 0. This allows you to perform any and all editing functions on the layer. Some functions are not available to a "Background" layer, merely renaming it opens up possibilities. This IS only semantics.

—-note: new layers will be added if you cut/paste, bring another image into this one, choose an adjustment layer like Levels, Hue/Saturation etc (click the little black/white circle at bottom of Layers Palette for options)

Let us know how you get on now.

Nancy

edit—of course editing will not proceed if the file is only on a CD (must copy to hard drive)

edit—or on the menu, choose Window>Show Layers. Here is a link to a tutorial for understanding the nature of layers.

<http://tinyurl.com/2z4qu>
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 19, 2004
Les,

I wrote this explanation, sorry for its length…

Layers
With layers, it’s as if you are looking down on them. Like sheets of cellophane with painting on them stacked up, some created with the paint not covering the entire area (if you had selected out part of an image and pasted it on its own layer, therefore transparent edges), some contain an entirely different image or some can be adjustment layers (to change some properties of the image without actually changing the original pixels). They can be discarded if desired or readjusted. A layer can have varied opacity, if not at 100% opacity, it is possible to see the layer below in some degree. If parts of a layer are transparent, the layer underneath will show through. Layers keep things separate, which allows for a lot of flexibility in making different edits to different elements of an image which don’t destroy the image you began with which resides on the bottom of the stack. Keep your Layers Palette open on the side of the workarea.

A common, incorrect assumption is that an image inherently possess layers. It does not. When you open an image it is one layered, the Background layer. The naming does not imply that it contains only the "background" info (for example; only the blue backdrop if you photographed a person against it). The background is whatever file you opened, in its entirety.

In the example above, if I wanted to change the tone of either the blue backdrop or the person, or change the tones of each but differently, I would need to separate the person from the blue using one of the selection tools. This would allow my correction to be applied to only the person or only the backdrop. I could select the person and copy/paste to a new blank layer above the background. I could change the tone of that layers contents, the person, without affecting the blue. If I wanted to add something to that person (a hat, brighter lips, blue eyecolor etc) I would create a new blank layer above the others and paint my additions on it. New blank layers are transparent, so everything looks the same onscreen until you add something. The advantage of painting on a new layer is that you have not disturbed the original pixels, so if you don’t like the changes, you can just throw the layer away and create a new one to try again. If I had painted right on the background layer, I would be stuck with my changes and altered the original. If I wanted to add text to my image, I would do so on a new blank layer. This would allow me to reposition the text if desired. In fact, I would use a new layer for every line of text. The layer would be transparent except for the text, allowing my image on the bottom to show through.
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 19, 2004
Nancy-

You have been so nice to do all this – I will print all of your comments & study them – Most definitely.

Again thank you so much!

Regards,

Les
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 19, 2004
Les,

You’re welcome. Don’t get discouraged. There is definitely a learning curve to this program but the potential is wondrous and in no time you’ll be addicted and amazed at what you can accomplish using this robust program. When you run into a snag, post on this forum and someone will help you out.
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 19, 2004
Nancy-

I’m an optimist all the way – And I’ve already become addicted. The people in this forum are tops. And wouldn’t it be terrific if this little world (forum) could become contagious & spread out into that jungle out there? People dying to themselves (Which is a strength & not a weakness), and helping one another unconditionally. But I’ll take this little escape, because this addiction is a very healthy one!

Regards
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 19, 2004
Les,

Good to have your "go-gettum" attitude!! Nice to have you join this forum. When in doubt, ask…much better than becoming frustrated.

Nancy
LT
Les_Thurmond
Jul 19, 2004
Nancy,

Thanks for your kind comment! Now about the aforementioned Epson Scan Utility – I just tested it again a couple of times – Leaving the "Unsharp Mask" checked – then scanning – Which culminated in not being able to use especially any tool under the "Filter" tab. I then did a run with same everything as before, but I unchecked the "Unsharp Mask" this time. After this, I was able to access layers – And use any tool available.

Consequently, if you have the same identical Epson scan utility that I have – Epson Twain 5 – Please try it the way I did. It’s really strange why it does that – But programming is strange, anyway. Lastly, if you have also upgraded to the 5 version by down loading "epson10609" AND epson10966" (I have the Perfection 2400) – I found that after installing, & when bringing up the utility – You have to cancel the "Automatic" operation, in order for it to start running the manual operation (Which of course, has the "Unsharp Mask" option. If you have all of those things the same as I do – Then try it! Regards
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 19, 2004
Les,

That is strange sounding…I am curious to see if my PSE Version 1 and (Epson Twain 5) behaves the same way. I’ll post back here.

Nancy
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 19, 2004
Les,

Just relating my findings after much experimenting…

I run WinXP Pro, have an old Epson Perfection 1200U Photo Scanner and use PSE Version 1.

I used the file epson10245.exe for Twain Version 5.53, which I downloaded from their site.

I can’t reproduce any of your limitations when having USM checked on the Twain screen. Every tool, filter and operation worked as advertised whether USM was used in the scanning process or not.

When initiating a scan for the very first time, the program opened in Automatic mode and I just switched it to Manual.

Your experience remains a mystery to me%#$@*

Nancy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections