Posted By
braders00
Aug 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear All,

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to SAVE the region defined by the polygonal lasso tool in PS CS ? By this i mean the line produced by the lasso tool – not the part of the image contained within the line. I wish to save the line so that i can apply the very same region to multiple images.

Many thanks, John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

E
edjh
Aug 3, 2005
braders00 wrote:
Dear All,

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to SAVE the region defined by the polygonal lasso tool in PS CS ? By this i mean the line produced by the lasso tool – not the part of the image contained within the line. I wish to save the line so that i can apply the very same region to multiple images.

Many thanks, John
Save the selection as a channel and you can reselect and apply it to anything.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
B
braders00
Aug 3, 2005
OK – thanks a lot for the help.

I’ve selected a region on an 8-bit grayscale image. As suggested, I made this selection a new channel. I did this by selecting New Channel and then selecting "selected area" under color indicates. I changed the opacity from 0- 100% on many attempts but this made no difference. When I then opened a new 8-bit grayscale image and copied my channel into this document, all I ever got was a whited out area over my selected region. (rather than the selection lines i would like).

This is probably dead simple stuff – if anyone could just point me in the right direction for further reading, i’ll be very grateful.

Cheers, John
K
KatWoman
Aug 3, 2005
"braders00" wrote in message
Dear All,

Many thanks, John

you can save any selection by making a mask as described but you don’t have to.
you can just make the selection and in the menu choose Select>SAVE SELECTION, a box comes up and you can name your selections, add or subtract them from other selections.
B
BubblyBabs
Aug 3, 2005
In the previous message braders00 wrote:

Dear All,

Many thanks, John

I’m not the biggest expert on this but if you make a mask (or a channel as edjh recommended) of your selection and save the image then you can open that saved mask image, click on select>load selection and your marching ants outline will automatically be selected for you… This works in PS CS2, I’m assuming it works for PS CS as well…

To move the marching ants over to another image be sure your lasso tool is chosen and drag the selected shape over to the other image…

Babs
K
KatWoman
Aug 3, 2005
"KatWoman" wrote in message
Dear All,

Many thanks, John

you can just make the selection and in the menu choose Select>SAVE SELECTION, a box comes up and you can name your selections, add or subtract them from other selections.
just realized the save selection works only within the image if you need to use the same selection another image
drag it over from one doc to the next (make sure marquee tool is selected and the cursor turns to arrow)
If you have the move tool selected it moves the selection and the contents
E
edjh
Aug 3, 2005
KatWoman wrote:

Dear All,

Many thanks, John

Yes, but what that does is makes a channel (look at the Channels palette), so it’s the same thing only you have to go to the menu and name it instead of hitting an icon.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
B
braders00
Aug 4, 2005
ok guys / girls,

I appreciate all the comments – i’m still falling short of my aim. I’m sure I didn’t explain clearly – sorry.

This is actually what i want to do. I have 3 images of exactly the same thing but taken with different types of illumination (UV excitation on a microscope to be exact). I want to select the EXACT same region on each image using the polygonal lasso, cut out that region and paste it into a new image. The region defined by the lasso is complex and so I’d like to save my selection and then apply it to all images.

Following the comments above this is what i have done:
– open image 1
– select region with lasso
– save selection as new channel
– open image 2
– drag the selection from image 1 onto image 2

now, I do indeed have a marked seletion – the original region (from image 1) is visible on image 2 with the rest of image 2 shaded out. BUT NOW HOW DO I COPY THE SELECTED AREA AND PASTE IT INTO A NEW IMAGE.

again, i’ll be eternally thankful if you can solve this for me.

Cheers, John
K
KatWoman
Aug 5, 2005
ok guys / girls,

I appreciate all the comments – i’m still falling short of my aim. I’m sure I didn’t explain clearly – sorry.

This is actually what i want to do. I have 3 images of exactly the same thing but taken with different types of illumination (UV excitation on a microscope to be exact). I want to select the EXACT same region on each image using the polygonal lasso, cut out that region and paste it into a new image. The region defined by the lasso is complex and so I’d like to save my selection and then apply it to all images.
Following the comments above this is what i have done:
– open image 1
– select region with lasso
– save selection as new channel
– open image 2
– drag the selection from image 1 onto image 2

now, I do indeed have a marked seletion – the original region (from image 1) is visible on image 2 with the rest of image 2 shaded out. BUT NOW HOW DO I COPY THE SELECTED AREA AND PASTE IT INTO A NEW IMAGE.
again, i’ll be eternally thankful if you can solve this for me.
Cheers, John

think I said this already but
use the move tool and it will copy and move the selection and the contents OR while it’s selected on image 1 use copy or copy merged and paste it into image 2
B
braders00
Aug 7, 2005
"OR while it’s selected on image 1 use copy or copy merged and paste it into
image 2 "

i’ve tried "move" and i’ve tried "copy" – everytime i get the contents of the selection and NOT the region defining the area of interest. I’m going to cry. I then I’m going to look for a different program to do this.
K
KatWoman
Aug 8, 2005
"OR while it’s selected on image 1 use copy or copy merged and paste it into
image 2 "

i’ve tried "move" and i’ve tried "copy" – everytime i get the contents of the selection and NOT the region defining the area of interest. I’m going to cry. I then I’m going to look for a different program to do this.

answered that in my first reply:

if you need to use the same selection another image
drag it over from one doc to the next (make sure marquee tool is selected NOT THE MOVE TOOL
and the cursor turns to arrow)
If you have the move tool selected it moves the selection and the contents

read carefully move tool will move selection and contents marquee tool will move only the selection (crawling ants outline)
B
braders00
Aug 9, 2005
katwoman

thanks for being patient – you did indeed explain the use of the marquee tool – i missed it. i finally got it working – thank you.
K
KatWoman
Aug 10, 2005
Hallelujah!! everybody sing now…
(sometimes I have to read and re-read to see what it really says instead of what I think it says….)
glad to help out

katwoman

thanks for being patient – you did indeed explain the use of the marquee tool – i missed it. i finally got it working – thank you.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections