JS
Posted By
Joyce_Spiegel
Jul 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Running Photoshop Elements 2.0 for a while.
Out of nowhere, when I start Elements the screen goes blank momentarily and returns with the resolution is all wrong. All items in the display are huge. All icons on my desktop are huge. I can still maneuver around or close Elements, which returns all to normal. All other programs work fine, including Photoshop Elements Version 1.

I’ve uninstalled and re-installed Elements 2.0. Same thing. HELP!!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 3, 2004
Bizarre…

Reset prefs if first thing to try, always..

M
JS
Joyce_Spiegel
Jul 3, 2004
I just tried that …. Alt+Ctrl+Shift at Elements startup …. reply to message yes to delete Adobe Photoshop Elements settings. Ended and re-started Elements …. same thing.

Thanks for the idea. Keep ’em coming.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 3, 2004
I’d guess you have video prob and Elements is just tingling the right nerve on your system. Hopefully is just driver prob and not hardware.

As a test, turn down video hardware acceleration to 0.
If prob goes away, likely the driver is compromised. Reinstall, or get updated one for your video adaptor. Might should do that even if acceleration DOESN’T fix.

Mac
JS
Joyce_Spiegel
Jul 3, 2004
I thought I knew where that was. Can you tell me where to find the video hardware acceleration setting?
O
OldnSenile
Jul 3, 2004
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 20:53:11 -0700,
wrote:

I thought I knew where that was. Can you tell me where to find the video hardware acceleration setting?

Joyce,

On my Windows "Me" PC:

Start / Settings / Control Panel / Display /
(Display Properties) "Settings" tab / "Advanced" button / (Video Card) "Performance" tab / (Graphics) Hardware Acceleration slider

Strange that PE1 does not cause it, PE2 does now but did not earlier. I was going to suggest looking at PE2 / Edit Preferences / Memory & Image Cache / Memory Usage, to see if something might have changed there. But "Reset Preferences" should have corrected that, I suspect.

OldnSenile
JS
Joyce_Spiegel
Jul 4, 2004
Finally figured it out.
Right clicked on the launching icon … selected the Compatibility tab. Somehow, in Display Settings, the boxes for ‘Run in 256 colors’ and ‘Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution’ got checked. Unchecked them and all returned to normal.

Thanks for the suggestions.
O
OldnSenile
Jul 5, 2004
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 07:13:56 -0700,
wrote:

Finally figured it out.
Right clicked on the launching icon … selected the Compatibility tab. Somehow, in Display Settings, the boxes for ‘Run in 256 colors’ and ‘Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution’ got checked. Unchecked them and all returned to normal.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Joyce,

Glad that you found the cause, and thanks for posting the solution.

But I couldn’t find the "Compatibility tab" on my Windows "Me" PC. Is that a "Mac" thing? Are you right-clicking on the "PhotoshopElements.exe" file icon? It’s not important, but I just wondered whether that was a PE2 installation problem, or how those settings might otherwise be changed by PSE2.

OldnSenile
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 5, 2004
But I couldn’t find the "Compatibility tab" on my Windows "Me" PC. Is that a "Mac" thing?

No, it’s an W2K/XP thang.

M
O
OldnSenile
Jul 5, 2004
No, it’s an W2K/XP thang.

M
Thanks Mac.

OnS

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections