Posted By
James_Mullins
Jul 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello! Folks

As an excited new user of PE2, I am having a hell of a time trying to send pictures to my brother by Email. I would like to send them as small thumbnails that my brother can quickly download. Right now-the attachments are way too large and taking almost 5-10 minutes to open one. I am just not understanding the instruction in the manual. Can someone help with an easier way.

Thanks

James

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NS
Nancy_S
Jul 2, 2004
James,

To reduce the file size and download time for emailing images (which are intended for screen viewing and not printing out at his end) go to Image>Resize Image.

With the Resample/Constrain boxes ticked, type in about 600 (pixels) for the largest dimension, letting the other dimension fill itself in. OK that and use "Save As", choosing a new name for the reduced size image. You might want to apply a bit of sharpening using the "Unsharp Mask" (maybe amount=100, radius=1 pixel). Now go to File>Save for Web, choose a compression level over on the right. The bottom of the screen will show you file size and approx. download time. Save this image as a jpg. Now just attach this image to an email.

edit—-if you desired tiny images, just input a smaller value when you use Resize Image. The settings I originally gave will just comfortably fill most people’s screen.
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 2, 2004
James,

Another thought…explore the File>Automate>Contact Sheet function. This handy-dandy utility will produce a thumbnail of each file in a folder on a page(s). You can dictate the number of TNs per page, therefore the size they will be. In order to see them decently though, you might to use…3 across, 4 down.

After you burn files to CDs, make a contact sheet, file it and you will easily locate images in the future.

edit—I use Version 1… I do hope Version 2 also includes this function
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jul 2, 2004
James,
I have used the method propounded by Nancy, and it works well.

I use Windows-XP and Outlook Express for e-mail. When I right click on a picture file, an option is send to>mail recipient. This automatically reduced the file size and places it as an attachment in the mail server.
Ken
D
Dave
Jul 2, 2004
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 08:12:43 -0700, wrote:

James,

Another thought…explore the File>Automate>Contact Sheet function. This handy-dandy utility will produce a thumbnail of each file in a folder on a page(s). You can dictate the number of TNs per page, therefore the size they will be. In order to see them decently though, you might to use…3 across, 4 down.

After you burn files to CDs, make a contact sheet, file it and you will easily locate images in the future.

edit—I use Version 1… I do hope Version 2 also includes this function

If James is running XP, he can also do it without even opening Elements. Just open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder where the pictures are, make sure Tasks are showing in the left column (if not, click in the Folders button in the toolbar). Click on the pic you want to email and select "Email this file" from the tasks list. XP will ask if you want to resize the image. They usually end up about 40-50KB resized and perfect for viewing. Your mail client then pops up with the file attached. It even works with AOL.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but it’s easier and faster than loading Elements, resizing, saving, starting the mailer, etc. At least IMHO.

If James has a Mac………nevermind.

Dave
SG
Syble_Glasscock
Jul 3, 2004
I too, use XP, and Outlook Express. I go to "My Pictures" and rt clk >send to> e-mail > pop-up window, choose reduce size>. My question is there a way to send multiples using this concept. I so far have been able to only send one at a time using this method to reduce. I recently scanned an old picture to be able to attach as an e-mail and I reduced the size by 50% as I scanned it, and this seemed to work okay.
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 3, 2004
I go to "My Pictures" and rt clk >send to> e-mail > pop-up window, choose
reduce size>. My question is there a way to send multiples using this concept

Syble,
I like to be in control of quality and file size of the pictures I email. That’s why I edit and resize them in Elements, using Save for Web for the sizing. Then I attach one or more pictures to an email. However, to answer your question, yes, you can do more than one image with your method. In XP Explorer you can highlight multiple pictures and right-click and do the Send To…

Juergen
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jul 3, 2004
James,
1. You want to send multiple picture attachments in Outlook Express with an e-mail message
2. Save the files appropriately sized on your hard drive. This calculator for scanning may be helpful to you for this purpose:
<http://www.image-access.net/calc/index.html>. 72 ppi is screen resolution. There is provision for this in the calculator. Files coming directly from your digital camera can be resized in Elements, as per Nancy’s post.
3. Now, in Outlook, go to Create Mail, then click on attach, insert attachments by clicking on (multiple) files from step #2.
If this is not clear, please repost.
Ken
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 3, 2004
Kenneth,

Just to clarify for others, maybe we should add…

It is not only files coming directly from your digital camera that can be resized in Elements, any digitized photo can be resized this way.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jul 3, 2004
Nancy,
Thanks for the addition/amplification. I was trying to capture a response to post#4 as well, where the inquiry appeared to lean towards scanning, and by-passing Elements. Anyway, Elements can resize both types of acquisitions.
Ken

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections