Posted By
Pete D
Jul 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ray

Those class project pictures are excellent. The cube; tell me about the cube?

And I am not being critical but just an observation; For a guy that don’t like water, every picture but one is primarily water! (I am counting dark clouds in there because they look like they are full of water:)

Pete

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 22, 2003
Ray, it’s great to see the Laurentians again! I was there in the early 1960’s with my parents; learned to ski at Gray Rocks Inn at St. Jovite!

🙂

Chuck
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
Chuck, I used to live there myself, 7 years ago, before I move to Montreal. And the entire region has changed a lot in only that small time. That’s incredible!
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
I’ve just uploaded a Photomerge montage I done a few moments ago. It’s at the same address : http://www.pbase.com/carbone/elements2_lesson3

I removed the truck near the barn, and use some "creative" techniques to remove the blending at the bottom of the images, near the middle. All this turned out quite good I believe! Take a look at the last six pictures, if you want to see it.

Ray
DS
Dick Smith
Jul 22, 2003
Ray,

Looks like we’re all going to have to get a "merge tutorial" from you! Great job.

Dick
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
Thanks Dick, but really, it’s very easy (the merging process using Photomerge). The trick was to, more or less, accurately balance the color / brightness between each picture and to correct what Photoshop Elements left out (some blending lines). This takes a lot of time ! 🙂

Ray
DH
Dave Hamer
Jul 22, 2003
Ray,

Thanx for bringing back the memories of the Laurentians. I was last there in the late 50’s.

Dave
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
Leen,

What is considered the horizon line when shooting trees? The base of the trees or the top? I did not realize my horizon line was right flush in the middle until you pointed it out!

Thanks,

Ray
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
Dave, well maybe it’s time you get back here and revisit this nice region. It has changed a lot! 🙂

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 22, 2003
Paul, I’ve sent you an e-mail 🙂

Ray
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 22, 2003
Ray, that looks like a real fun class and I’m envious ! Great work !
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 22, 2003
Ray, the horizon line is where you (the viewer) expect it to be. 😉 Never mind any trees, buildings etc.

Hope I didnot offend you with my comments, but you folks are helping me so much when it comes to digital imaging, I hope I might be able to contribute a few cents in what I know best: photography.

Leen
DH
Dave Hamer
Jul 22, 2003
Ray

I was last back that way, the year of the great ice storm. Had to go to Ottawa for a week and took the opportunity to drive down to Kingston for a couple of days. I don’t miss the summer humidity.

Dave
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
Well Dave, we can’t have it all 🙂 Humidity is a fact we learn to live with.
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
You should Jodi, it’s really fun! This class ignites my imagination is so many ways!
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
Leen, you didn’t offend me the least, believe me! I take critic very easily. I’ve learned, a long time ago, that what one sees in a picture is one way to look at it. In some cases, not the best or not what the author had in mind. In this case, I agree with you that horizon line is in the middle. However, I like the look it has, something like "floating in the air". I can’t explain it otherwise. But, when I looked at the other pictures I took that day, the 1/3 + 2/3 rule has been respected mostly 🙂

Ray
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 22, 2003
A long time ago when I was first starting to paint, my ‘mommy’ said ‘ never cut a picture in half ! ‘. I’ve always remembered this and followed this rule with every aspect of design including photography. Same as skirts cut off at the knee should be banned !
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 22, 2003
Jodi, Mom was right. As usual.
I don’t know anything about skirts. Do have my opinion though.

I do know about baseball caps: when worn they should have the peak facing the front!

Leen

(Who used to be a promising curve ball pitcher but never fulfilled this promise)
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
Oops… I guess I won’t be posting a picture of me, driving my Honda with my baseball cap facing… south 🙂

Ray
PD
Pete D
Jul 22, 2003
Ray, Not old fashioned? Did you mean just Old?

(That’s a joke Ray! 🙂

Pete
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 23, 2003
Ray, you don’t have to apologise at all.
Sometimes I’m a little old fashioned and I like it. 😉
Probably that’s why I love to be in the UK. (Paul, no offense) Moreover, here in Holland we are usually rather straight forward, sometimes we embarass people from abroad without noticing, so I can not just only give but take as well. :-))

And, compared to some in the forum, I’m getting old too(55). But I feel young at heart and that’s what matters to me.

Although I personally dislike cities (I’m a countryside lover) I suppose two or three days in London will be too short too. Probably the year after you will be travelling to Amsterdam, Copenhagen or Berlin and have to spend a few days in London as well. 😉

Leen
R
Ray
Jul 23, 2003
The year after might just be Amsterdam or Austria. Australia is also one of our top destination, but I still have to find something to do in a plane, siting for 13 hours seems like an eternity 🙂
ML
Marty Landolt
Jul 23, 2003
RAY,
Another nice visit to another beautiful set of pictures. I paticularly like # 3723. The clouds formed around the tree and the water adds so much interest…what, as am amature, I’d call excellent ‘composition’.
Marty
DH
Dave Hamer
Jul 23, 2003
Ray

During long flights, doing a few Photoshop Elememts challenges might pass the time. I have also found reading computer books passes the time. We had a couple of long flights; one from Vancouver to Nairobi via London and another from Vancouver to the Cook Islands via Los Angeles.

Dave
R
Ray
Jul 23, 2003
I looked at the tree, it was lightly inclined, like "posing" for me. Couldn’t resist!

Thanks Marty, I had a rough day at work and your comment just cheered me up 🙂

Ray
R
Ray
Jul 23, 2003
Well, Dave, I don’t know if a computer book will help me. And as for a laptop, mine lasts only 3 hours on batteries. Unless I could get a new laptop, an iBook 🙂

As for reading computer books, it makes me want to jump right at the computer and start playing with it! The longest I’ve been on an airplane is when we went to Paris last year. It took just a little over 6 hours to get there. I’m not affraid of planes, but I’m not comfortable in closed spaces. After 2 hours, I already had enough of being sitting constantly. But there’s not much you can do on a plane.

Still, a laptop will probably be my travelling companion next time, because the real one snores and sleep like a baby in any planes! 😉

Ray
DH
Dave Hamer
Jul 23, 2003
Ray

I used to like traveling by train because you could get up regularly and walk thru the cars and maybe even stop to talk to people. In the air, they certainly don’t encourage such behaviour and the isles are only wide enough for the food and beverage carts. My wife is able to sleep on long flights but I cannot. Laptops, instructional tapes and good books are the only things left to do. On our flight to Nairobi, we purposely booked an overnight stopover in London to break up the flight. We were awakened during the night by fire alarms in the hotel and got very little sleep.

I find my background in teaching Photoshop and now Elements at our Computer User Group help me to answer questions rather than to be simply rude. And yes, lots of times the questions are very much off topic and some expect you to be a resource on almost everything. I enjoy it though.

Dave
R
Ray
Jul 23, 2003
Dave,

When I was in college, I was also teaching Logo (the programming language for children) to a mixed class of students (from 8 to 16). It was so much fun!
And at my previous job, I was also the "training authority" for IBM cash registers and computers in general (from Windows 95 to Office, and OS/2, Lotus, etc.). This also was much fun! Every once in a while, someone would come up with an off-topic question, but always, I made room for these interesting discussion in my teaching schedule. This brings a pause, well deserved, when teaching something very difficult to master.

Ray
PL
Paul L UK
Jul 25, 2003
Leen

No offense taken

The good thing about living here is that being old-fashioned, a little mad (or eccentric) and having a wicked sense of humour are all considered normal.
It is these traits that everybody else seems to associate with being English anyway. (The good ones)

Paul
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 25, 2003
Paul, that’s exactly why I feel like coming home when I arrive in the UK. Just only a few weeks and I ‘ll be there again for a few days. (digital wedding seminar in Milton Keynes)

Leen
R
Ray
Jul 25, 2003
Thank you Jane!

I’ll try to bring a laptop, if I can. Some good games, and perhaps, Photoshop Elements and a small Cam (I won’t make fun of anyone on the plane..!!) 🙂

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections