DR
Posted By
Denice_Rodriguez
Jun 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I hope that someone could offer some assistance. I’ve just purchased Photoshop Elements 2.0 and need specific help in animating gif’s. I need to use 4 different photos so that they change from one to the other. I’m having a tough time trying to understand how to do this in layers. I am very new at using this type of program. Any help or advice will be appreciated!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BG
Byron Gale
Jun 30, 2004
Denice,

You first should set up all of your images so that they have the same pixel dimensions. I suggest that you make a copy of each photo and then crop them all to the same size.

Once all of them are the same size, you need to "stack" them together into one file. Decide which image you wish to be the first frame of your animation, and use it as the main file. Have it open on your workspace, but shrink the image’s window so that you’ll be able to see the other photo windows.

Select the image you wish to be the second frame. From that image’s Layers Palette, click-drag the image’s icon into the image window of your main file – while hovering in that window, hold the SHIFT key, then release the mouse. This adds a copy of your second image to the first as a new layer. You can close the second image’s window, as you no longer need to see it.

Repeat for the third and fourth images – so that you end up with a 4-layered file – with each image on a layer.

Click File > Save for Web…

On the right-hand side of the window, beneath the word "Settings", select GIF. A bit below that option, click to select Animate.

At the bottom on the right, in the Animation section, click to select Loop if you wish the animation to cycle over and over, as long as it is displayed. Set the Frame Delay appropriately as you wish – depending on the desired time between frames.

(At this point, you can preview your animation by clicking the "Preview In" button at the bottom of the screen, below your "after" image. A browser window will open and you will get to see an example of your animation.)

Click the OK button to assign a name to your creation.

HTH,

Byron
wrote in message
I hope that someone could offer some assistance. I’ve just purchased
Photoshop Elements 2.0 and need specific help in animating gif’s. I need to use 4 different photos so that they change from one to the other. I’m having a tough time trying to understand how to do this in layers. I am very new at using this type of program. Any help or advice will be appreciated!
P
Pocket
Jul 1, 2004
I had trouble with animated gifs myself, but *finally* figured it out. What’s driving me NUTS now is that there seems to be no way to control the ORDER in which the individual layers are animated. Can anyone please help me with this? I can’t seem to figure out how it works, and it doesn’t seem to be related to the actual order of the layers, their names, or the order in which the layers were duplicated from other images. Please help!
R
RobertHJones
Jul 1, 2004
Pocket,

Actually, it does depend on the order of the layers. If you open the layer palette so you can see how the layers are stacked, the first frame to be displayed will be the bottom layer. The next frame will be the layer above that and so forth until it reaches the top. Please note that any layers you marked hidden will still be displayed so you will need to delete the hidden layers prior to using save for web to create the animation.

If you look at the bottom right of the save for web window, in the animation box, there is a set of arrow controls, similar to a tape player, that will allow you to step through the frames in order. There is also a frame counter to show which frame you are on.

Bob
DR
Denice_Rodriguez
Jul 1, 2004
Many THANKS Bryon, it took me two days to learn, alot of frustrating mistakes…but thanks to you I’ve finally learned how to do this!! And I was using text as well–who would of thought! I had been trying to make an animated avatar for my niece. It’s not exactly perfect, but darn good for my first try.

Pocket, just follow Bryon’s directions to the letter. First picture, first, second picture second it will follow the sequence up.
And Robert, I also did the arrow controls just to be sure everything was correct before I saved.

Thanks to all!! Guess this program will be a keeper.
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 2, 2004
Hi, Denice…

….glad we were able to help Denice help "de niece"… (sorry! I can’t help it)

Come back soon!!

Byron
DR
Denice_Rodriguez
Jul 3, 2004
LOL…Bryon, I didn’t even put that connection together–thanks for the laugh today 🙂 This forum’s members have been very nice and helpful, you bet I’ll be back if I need anymore assistance. Thanks again!
TT
Tammy_Tran
Jul 4, 2004
Byron, what does "stacking" the photos into one file mean? Stacking, that’s new lingo for me. Sorry.

I can tell this ImageReady process will take quite a while for me.
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 6, 2004
Tammy,

(Sorry for the delay in responding — I had a long weekend away from home)

When I mentioned the need to "stack" the photos, I was using the term to describe assembling all of the desired images into a single, multi-layered file. The word "stack" has been used in reference to the Layers palette – I think – as a way to describe the effect of placing layer upon layer… like flapjacks! I don’t think it is in the "offical" vernacular, though.

The end result will be similar to a flip-book animation, where each layer is displayed one after the other when the file is saved as an animated GIF via Save for Web.

You mention ImageReady — which, to me, means that you are using a full version of Photoshop. All of my work is done with Photoshop Elements, so there may need to be some adjustments made if another program is used. I don’t know.

HTH,

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 6, 2004
Byron: "Flapjacks"? Is the restaurant chain called IHOF in your area??

🙂

Chuck
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 7, 2004
Chuck,

Har, har, har…. ;~)

As long as they’re hot, buttered and covered with syrup, (I guess that could apply to lots of things!!), I don’t care WHAT you call ’em.

LOL!

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 7, 2004
Byron, sorry – I couldn’t resist. When I was a lad (lo these many decades ago) my mother referred to them as hotcakes. I always thought they were superior to pancakes, which I believed were from a box mix as opposed to the ones made from scratch by my mother…

Chuck

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections