KB
Posted By
Kiwi_Blair
Jun 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a new PSE user and loving it except for the damn palette well. The screenshots of the PSE2 workspace in Help and in the User Guide show a nice long Palette well with each tab visible, but the one I get on my screen is so tiny in length that if I have more than say 4 palettes in there, some of them are completely hidden even if I move my pointer extremely slowly across the tabs. I then have to resort to using the Window menu to display the palette I want and leaving it out on the workspace which soon becomes cluttered (and rather negates the usefulness of the palette well.)

I am using WinME and a screen resolution of 800×600. If I change this to 1024×768 the palette well becomes a size more like Help shows it should be, and the palette tabs are visible, but everything is so small that I cannot work at that screen resolution.

Does anyone know if the palette well can be resized on an 800x600screen??

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 30, 2004
No, it can’t be resized. Two suggestions that pop here often… Get a bigger monitor, or a better pair of glass…

(I, for one, don’t like wearing my glasses, but it’s something I learned to do, since I’ve been using Photoshop Elements.. Hahaha!)

Ray
AT
Anne_Twitchell
Jun 30, 2004
This is a frequently asked question and there is no thoroughly satisfactory solution. You can change the resolution of your monitor which will allow you to fit all the palettes in the well, but as you say everythig becomes smaller. What many of us do is keep only those we use frequently in the well. I keep layers, layer styles, how to (for Hidden Power Tools access) and any other one that I am using frequently at the time. It would be nice if Adobe addressed this problem in their next Elements upgrade.

Anne
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 30, 2004
I doubt we’ll see in Elements3, Anne – the move (at least with CS) is to require higher screen resolution not less – the CS RAW converter requires at least 1024×768 to show up on the screen, which is the highest resolution my monitor can display… (I had to go and get reading glasses!)
KB
Kiwi_Blair
Jun 30, 2004
Thanks for those suggestions folks. Guess I’ll just have to live with it. Trouble is I like to have Layers, Navigator, Undo History, Swatches etc. etc. etc.in there.

What’s so annoying is that a max of three of them show up as I run my pointer over the well – usually it’s the one I want that doesn’t show – gggrrr.
NS
Nancy_S
Jun 30, 2004
Kiwi,

See if this works out for you…

Temporarily change your screen resolution to 1024×768. Drag the tab of a frequently used palette out of the well and down along the rightside of your workarea, it should stay there. Choose another desired palette from the well, drag by the tab and postion it on top of the repositioned palette’s tab, release the mouse button. You can "nest" many palettes on the workarea (arranged as in the well, to conserve space). If the second palette didn’t "nest" with the first and remains a separate entity on the workarea, try again…grab the tab and release over the first palette’s tab. Group your desired palettes in this manner along the edge of your workarea.

If you feel you can only work at 800×600, change your monitor back to that resolution. The palettes you placed on the work area should be visible, or at least a piece of them. Grab hold of the top colored bar of the nested palettes and reposition on screen as needed. Use the "Tab" on your keyboard as a toggle switch when you want your workarea free of the palettes presence (pressing Tab again will reveal the palettes, etc)
KB
Kiwi_Blair
Jul 1, 2004
Hi Nancy,
Thanks for that. I had skimmed over the bit in the user manual about nesting palettes without realising it’s usefulness. I was able to nest 3 palettes that way without changing screen resolution. By parking them with just the edge showing on my screen right edge they don’t take much space and are quickly accessible.

Problem neatly solved thanks to you.
Blair. (Kiwi country is where I live.)
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 1, 2004
Hi Blair…..

Maybe another way around this is to get familiar with the keyboard shortcuts for opening the pallettes. For instance F11 will open the Layers Pallete, F7 filters and so on. To clear them from your workspace just press the F key.

Colin

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections