MK
Posted By
Mary_K._Kochanek
Jun 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Many of the thumbnails in explore in My Pictures are now showing a Picture It icon, instead of the thumbnail, even though these were photos done in Elements. A few of the folders are entirely PictureIt icons.

I recently had to purchase a new computer and have installed most of the programs I had in the old computer and restored the old files. Everything was fine until I installed the PictureIt 2002 program. It is the same one I had on the old computer. I had no problem with that happening on the old computer and all the programs are the same ones I was using then.

When I go to my documents to view them they are also in the form of PictureIt icons with the name of the photo and .psd after the name there also. When I hover over them, they say Picture It documents . Most of these were done in Photoshop.

Is there any way to get these thumbnails back and get rid of the PictureIt icons?

I have some previous things done in PictureIt, so would like to keep the program if there is a way to do it without having it take over so many of my other photos.

Mary

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 28, 2004
Open Elements, click on the Edit menu>File Associations. Check the boxes beside the file types you want to associate with Elements. Click OK and that should take care of it.

Microsoft software does have a way of taking over things without asking…VERY arrogant and VERY annoying!

Patti
O
OldnSenile
Jun 28, 2004
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:29:30 -0700,
wrote:

Many of the thumbnails in explore in My Pictures are now showing a Picture It icon, instead of the thumbnail, even though these were photos done in Elements. A few of the folders are entirely PictureIt icons.

I recently had to purchase a new computer and have installed most of the programs I had in the old computer and restored the old files. Everything was fine until I installed the PictureIt 2002 program. It is the same one I had on the old computer. I had no problem with that happening on the old computer and all the programs are the same ones I was using then.

When I go to my documents to view them they are also in the form of PictureIt icons with the name of the photo and .psd after the name there also. When I hover over them, they say Picture It documents . Most of these were done in Photoshop.

Is there any way to get these thumbnails back and get rid of the PictureIt icons?
I have some previous things done in PictureIt, so would like to keep the program if there is a way to do it without having it take over so many of my other photos.

Mary

Mary,

My first thought, is that you may wish to check the "View" dropdown list in your "My Pictures" folder, to verify that "Thumbnails" is checked, and not one of the 2 "Icons" choices.

Next, "Picture-It may have changed the file associations during its installation. When you double-click on a psd file, if it is opened by "Picture-It", you have to change the psd file associaton from "Picture-It" to "Photoshop Elements". I believe that this can be done by opening Elements (assuming you are working with Windows). Click on the "Edit" drop-down menu, and select "File Associations". Then place a check mark preceding "Photoshop PSD", in the list, and "OK". I don’t know if you have to restart Elements, or Windows to have the changes take place.

You can also change file associations (on a PC), by "right click" on any data file (e.g. jpg), and selecting "open with" and "choose program"; then check "always use this program to open these files" and select the application (e.g. "Image Preview") that you want to open the data file from the list, and click "OK". After that, a double-click on the data file should open it in the selected application.

I don’t claim to be an expert with the Windows operating system, but I didn’t see any other response, so I thought this might start some further discussion.

OldnSenile
O
OldnSenile
Jun 28, 2004
Patti,

Sorry to duplicate your statement. I took too long to compose and post my response, and should have checked again before posting.

OldnSenile
MK
Mary_K._Kochanek
Jun 29, 2004
Patti and OldnSenile,
Thanks so much for your help. It is great to have my thumbnails back instead of the PictureIt icons.

Thanks again,
Mary
S
slp20082008
Jul 1, 2004
Interesting! I went to PSE, then Edit, then File Association. Now I wonder: what do I wish to check??? I plan to burn these photos to CD for playback.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 1, 2004
On a Windows machine, the file types will automatically set icons/associations to whatever the USER is set for on his own system. You can’t control that.

You may have your JPEGs set to open in Elements, he may have them set to open in Internet Explorer. No way to know.

Or maybe this is not even your question at this point?

Mac
O
OldnSenile
Jul 2, 2004
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:52:20 -0700, wrote:

Interesting! I went to PSE, then Edit, then File Association. Now I wonder: what do I wish to check??? I plan to burn these photos to CD for playback.

slp,

I don’t think you want to check (or uncheck) anything in the Elements File Association dialog list, unless something is not working the way you wish. These checks (associations) don’t affect the saving of Elements edited files, and should not affect the burning of photo files to CD.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections