JC
Posted By
Jeane_Carlson
Jun 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I apologize for the off topic, but my nine year old Grandson is showing an interest in photography. He has a really cheapo digital that takes horrible pictures. I would like to get him a Sony FD for the ease of putting the pictures on the computer. Was just wondering if any one might have one they no longer use and is looking to sell it. I will pay a fair price for one in good condition. Just don’t want to run out and pay for a new one at this point. Or, does any one know of any reputable place I might find a re-conditioned one.
Again, sorry for the OT, but I know you Guru’s on here can answer ANYTHING. lol Jeane

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JC
Jeane_Carlson
Jun 20, 2004
"Again, sorry for the OT, but I know you Guru’s on here can answer ANYTHING. lol" Jeane

Well, Maybe not. Thanks Anyway
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 20, 2004
Jeane,

It’s Father’s Day today and as a result, it’s rather slow around here. Give this group a few days, someone will come up with an interesting suggestion, I’m positive.

Ray
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jun 21, 2004
So I finally found out what O.T. means. D’oh! 8^)
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 21, 2004
9 years old? You can buy him a fairly good digital camera, in the $150 range or more. When my little brother was about 8 my parents got him a nice little camera, and he took some mighty good pictures. And he has been taking wonderful photos ever since!
So if he is serious about this hobby, get him a decent camera, dont let him take it out with his buddies and friends, but just on family trips and somewhat supervised adventures, and you might give him a start on a lifetime of fun.
There is nothing like starting out right. Dont throw expensive toys and stuff at kids, but if they show a real interest and are responsible for their possesions, then go for it. There might be a photography class in his school or town.
It opened up a great hobby for my little brother, so give it some serious thought if the 9 year old is ready for it.
Jane
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 21, 2004
So I finally found out what O.T. means. D’oh! 8^)
Just out of curiosity… are you in Canada Mark, more precisely in Quebec?

Ray
JC
Jeane_Carlson
Jun 21, 2004
Thanks, Jane,
I am going to get him a nice one. Just don’t want to pay the new price right now. That is why I am looking for a Sony FD. I have one that I love and thought that the floppy disk format would be the easiest as far as getting the pictures onto the computer Also, the size is large enough that it won’t be real easy to lose like some of the tiny ones. Just thought that someone on the forum might have one they would like to sell. He is also learning PSE and doing quite well with it.
Thanks
Jeane
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 21, 2004
Jeane, you might try e-Bay for an item like that.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 21, 2004
He is also learning PSE and doing quite well with it.

Well, send him on over to this forum. He could probably help us out.
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 21, 2004
It depends a bit on the kids. My two do very well with my old 2mp kodak camera – it’s fixed focus, no zoom so all they have to worry about is correctly framing the image. Once they’ve got over the stage of cutrting off people’s heads, then it’ll be worth graduating to something more complicated, where they have to think about zoom and focus etc.

Susan S.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 21, 2004
I started with that, when I was 11…

<http://www.pbase.com/image/30404699>

I had fun and made some very nice pictures with that!

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 21, 2004
Ray, I had that camera too ! Then my younger brother inherited it after i moved up to my first ‘real’ camera ( it was the shape of a real camera which was very exciting for me )….it was a minolta and I used it for ‘years’ afterwards til I lost it 🙁
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 21, 2004
My 3 and 1/2 year old grandson snapped a picture of me at his graduation with his mother’s camera, and the funny thing about this, is that I am a Terrible photo subject, really awful, and his picture came out sort of OK of me! He surprised me, we thought the film had ended.
I just might put it on my pbase album, and you all will get a great laugh! Fat old grandma. Jane
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jun 21, 2004
Raymond-

No, I’m not in Canada, I’m in New Hampshire, USA. My grandparents are quebecois, though.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 21, 2004
Mark

So tell us do they know how to pronounce your last name south of the boarder. My great grand mother was born in Vermont but the family were still Quebecois and when my great grand father died they sold the family business and move back across the boarder. Of course way back then the boarder was a bit more porous than it is today.

Grant
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 21, 2004
I thought I wasn’t the only natively French speaking forum member… There goes my luck…

Thanks Mark 🙂

Ray
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jun 22, 2004
Well, as it turns out there are quite a few Levesques in the phone book down here, so there are times when I say my last name and the person I’m saying it to even knows how to spell it. 🙂

I get plenty of (amusing) pronunciations. Hey- it’s not as straightforward as Smith or Brown. My grandfather says "Le Vake", which works for me ‘cuz it was his name first. "Le Veck" is also acceptable. Some of my relatives (who still live in Canader and speak french mostly/only) say "Le Vike".

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections