SP
Posted By
Shane_P._Walsh
Oct 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi . . . My Dell computer (P4 @ 2.8 Gig – 1 1/2 years old with XP and Serv. Pak 2) runs fine and finds camera card from USB port to "acquire" pix. However, I have installed Adobe CS and encountered a problem. I receive message that the camera "cannot be found" when trying to "Import/acquire" from camera card. Even though it is showing as a storage device drive "E" in ‘My Computer’. After deleting said CS software, the standard software I had been using (Dell Image Expert) gives the same "camera not found" message. So I delete the new software and do a system restore and Dell software works fine again, it finds the camera and storage card no problem. So I cannot use better photo editing software because of this recurring problem (have tried Faststone freeware with same error problem). I should mention that there is also software for viewing/editing from HP for my printer/scanner/copier. It also works fine at "importing" pix before any new software install. I did online chat with HP and they had me delete all USB devices in ‘safe mode’ then reacquire with fresh start-up. Computer finds all USB-connected devices again with no problems, but still same message "camera cannot be found". I also notice that there is a storage device "F" listed in ‘My Computer’ though I don’t think I have anything else for storage and the file for this drive is empty. There is no problem with camera or USB cord since deleting new software and doing system restore always allows Dell and HP software to find and import camera-card pix. So any ideas on how this problem can be solved would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JH
Jim_Hess
Oct 7, 2005
In my opinion, the simplest solution is to purchase a card reader. Then just use the standard Windows copy commands to move your pictures to your hard drive. I wouldn’t even worry about trying to import through other software. It isn’t worth it. I would much rather use Photoshop than worry about why it won’t download the pictures.
AC
Art Campbell
Oct 7, 2005
First, I’ve never heard that PS could download anything directly from any brand of camera… So I’d second Jim’s advice to pick up a card reader and use that as a regular Windows device rather than attempting to "acquire" directly from the camera.

If this is possible at all, there are likely to be camera drivers involved that either may not be installed properly for CS or are not supported by CS.

Also… without knowing more details… If you have an HP multi function machine, you’re 100% sure that it doesn’t contain a card reader (your phantom F drive), correct? Because a number of them do.

Art
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Oct 7, 2005
I always set up a folder by date for the new pictures, then download from either the camera or a reader, then copy the new folder to my second (backup) drive.

I never use a program to do the downloading as it’s usually a very slow process by comparison and also usually requires a separate application or drivers as mentioned above.

Besides, doing it this way prevents me from accidentally making changes to the original file. Always like to keep the original untouched, right? 🙂
SP
Shane_P._Walsh
Oct 7, 2005
Thanks Jim and Art . . . there are card slots on my HP all-in-one, so maybe I’ll use that (Drive F) to download pix rather than buy a reader. Since Dell Image Exp. imported directly from camera, I just figured CS would too.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 7, 2005
Why try to acquire through Photoshop?

If you plug the camera via its USB cable, into a computer running Win XP it (or its card) is immediately seen as an extra drive. You can then move/copy the image files to a folder of your choice and open the files with the File Browser or Windows Explorer.

I recently bought a Canon Powershot S2 and the instruction manual actually said "If you have Windows XP the Canon software is not necessary" (or words to that effect). This is something that has been evident for some time.

If you already have image editing and archiving software installed, you don’t even need to put the camera manufacturer’s CD in the drive to be in business.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 7, 2005
I’ve never heard that PS could download anything directly from any brand of camera

Actually, it appeared to me that anything that can be TWAIN, or otherwise driven, and has a name, will appear in File > Import, after first use.

After I used a Canon 1Dmk2 in tethered operation it "sits" there. It’s ok, because I use it that way for small product photography, but I don’t need to have it available in PS.

Rob
AC
Art Campbell
Oct 7, 2005
Shane, is your camera, by chance, also a Dell product? That could explain why the Dell software recognizes it.

And if your HP has card slots, it is indeed a card reader, so you’ve already solved your problem. Shove the card into the HP, open drive F, and copy the pictures to your hard drive.

Cheers,
Art
SP
Shane_P._Walsh
Oct 7, 2005
Art . . . actually camera’s a Minolta (A1). I’m good with cameras but software @%#@’s me off sometimes. I’ve had the printer almost a year and the card slots are still virgin. I’ll use them gently though – LOL. Thanks for the assistance.
AC
Art Campbell
Oct 7, 2005
Ah, but Shane,

Photoshop will never give you yellow fingernails like stop bath and hypo will.

Art

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections