Posted By
vanillacoke
Dec 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I shoot pics mainly for web sites. What are the key features I should look for in choosing a camera? Not looking to spend a fortune just want the right camera type.

Thanks!
Eric

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
John Joslin
Dec 13, 2008
There is a photography forum.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc94a3d.3bb41392/>

Give an idea of your budget!
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 13, 2008
Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Pentax I would say you don’t need anything with more the 10 megapixels.

The point and shoots today are very good as they always have been. Nikon has D60 reasonable price if you want to be able to change the lenses, Canon has a G1 very good reputation.
R
Ram
Dec 13, 2008
For web sites she’ll do fine with a 2.5 megapixel camera, if they still make them. πŸ˜€
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 13, 2008
vanilla,

I agree with what’s been said. But although RamΓ³n is right, it seems even the inexpensive point ‘n’ shoots are 6 MP or greater today. You shouldn’t have to spend more than $200 for a camera with a built-in flash.

The biggest problems I’m aware of are shutter lag (the time between pressing the button and actually capturing the picture — particularly with fast moving subjects); pincushion and barrel distortion (straight lines bow in or out); and a total inability to see anything on the ubiquitous LCD panel if sunlight — direct or reflected off your face — hits the screen. If you can find a camera with an eye-level viewfinder, grab it.

But, yes, please take this topic over to the photography forum if you have further questions.

Thanks.

Neil
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 14, 2008
What are the key features I should look for in choosing a camera?

Adding to what has been said, look for a camera that has good reviews at correcting white balance if you plan on shooting indoor, and at outputting readily usable JPEG if you are not too familiar with image processing or don’t want to spend too much time editing. Additionally, you will gain in using a program like LightRoom for quick edits and image resize. The choice of the lens(es) depends on your main subjects, but if you have the means for a VR zoom (vibration reduction), go for it. The all-purpose Nikon 18-200 VR is awesome. Fitted to a Fuji S5 now at close-out price, it would give you a mighty tool.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 15, 2008
Folks,

At this point, let’s please move further camera discussion over to the Photography Forum where more folks can find it and respond to it.

Thanks.

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections