A
Posted By
AaronK
Jan 20, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have two digital cameras that I’m sometimes shooting with alternating between the two. I end up with a load of files that I would like to see in order of date AND time shot. Windows Explorer will sort them in the order I shot them, but File Browser in Photoshop CS doesn’t seem to be able to do this. If you sort by date created you get all the Nikon D2H files first because the file name starts with _DCS while the Nikon D1X show up at the bottom half of file browser.

Is there a way around this that anyone knows of? Do I have to manually (tediously) drag them into the correct order, then batch rename with a preceding serial number?

Thanks … AKiley

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
nomail
Jan 21, 2005
AaronK wrote:

I have two digital cameras that I’m sometimes shooting with alternating between the two. I end up with a load of files that I would like to see in order of date AND time shot. Windows Explorer will sort them in the order I shot them, but File Browser in Photoshop CS doesn’t seem to be able to do this. If you sort by date created you get all the Nikon D2H files first because the file name starts with _DCS while the Nikon D1X show up at the bottom half of file browser.

Is there a way around this that anyone knows of? Do I have to manually (tediously) drag them into the correct order, then batch rename with a preceding serial number?

Photoshop CS file browser *can* sort on creation date, so as long as the dates in the cameras are set correctly, there shouldn’t be a problem.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
N
nomail
Jan 21, 2005
AaronK wrote:

I changed a few filenames to mimick your situation. If you sort on Date Modified instead of Date Created, it seems to work as you want.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
B
beu
Jan 21, 2005
In article <l4XHd.410$>,
AaronK wrote:
I have two digital cameras that I’m sometimes shooting with alternating between the two. I end up with a load of files that I would like to see in order of date AND time shot. …

[clip]

My solution is to rename all the files with a common date/time filename so all the images I take can be listed in one place. The filename I use is:
YYYY-MM-DD_hh-mm_<original filename>
If I care later about the original source, the EXIF information will tell me that and much more besides.

There’s a command line tool that will generate these filenames easily called JHEAD. It can use the EXIF date/time to rename a set of files. See:
http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
and its "Usage documentation" for more info.
A
AaronK
Jan 22, 2005
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
AaronK wrote:

I have two digital cameras that I’m sometimes shooting with alternating between the two. I end up with a load of files that I would like to see in
order of date AND time shot. Windows Explorer will sort them in the order I
shot them, but File Browser in Photoshop CS doesn’t seem to be able to do this. If you sort by date created you get all the Nikon D2H files first because the file name starts with _DCS while the Nikon D1X show up at the bottom half of file browser.

I changed a few filenames to mimick your situation. If you sort on Date Modified instead of Date Created, it seems to work as you want.

Huh, It didn’t seem to work for me. What if you modify a few files and still want it sorted by date and time. Seems it’s an obvious omission from Photoshop CD file browser especially that windows explorer can do it. There were a lot of files, so I ended up cutting and pasting a windows list of the files that were in the correct order, into a file in Photoshop. I then manually dragged the file browser files into the correct order. Then I marked all and batch renamed them with a leading 2 digit serial number. Worked but it was tedious. … Aaron
A
AaronK
Jan 22, 2005
"Bruce Uttley" wrote in message
In article <l4XHd.410$>,
AaronK wrote:
I have two digital cameras that I’m sometimes shooting with alternating between the two. I end up with a load of files that I would like to see in
order of date AND time shot. …

[clip]

My solution is to rename all the files with a common date/time filename so all the images I take can be listed in one place. The filename I use is:
If I care later about the original source, the EXIF information will tell me that and much more besides.

There’s a command line tool that will generate these filenames easily called JHEAD. It can use the EXIF date/time to rename a set of files. See:
That sounds good. I’ll give it a try. … Aaron
N
nomail
Jan 22, 2005
AaronK wrote:

"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
AaronK wrote:

Huh, It didn’t seem to work for me. What if you modify a few files and still want it sorted by date and time.

Obviously, it won’t work any more if you do that. You will have to sort the images straight out of the camera(s), rename them right away and only then you can start playing around with them.

Seems it’s an obvious omission from Photoshop CD file browser especially that windows explorer can do it.

Seems more like a bug to me. You *can* sort by date, so there is no omission. It’s just that sorting by date doesn’t work correctly all the time.

A
AaronK
Jan 22, 2005
"Bruce Uttley" wrote in message
In article <l4XHd.410$>,
AaronK wrote:
order of date AND time shot. …

[clip]

Thanks Bruce, One more item. I played with jhead a bit and it’s great. The only thing I couldn’t figure out is how to leave the original filename intact as the last part of the filename like. MMDD-HHMMSSDSC-3290.jpg

Do you know how to accomplish this? They mention the %f but it doesn’t seem to work. … Aaron

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections