CG
Posted By
Christopher_Gentry
Dec 11, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is a real deal-breaker for me. I downloaded the CS4 demo and have been liking a lot of the features but I have one issue that is driving me absolutely nuts and will keep me from purchasing the upgrade if I can’t find a work around.

Over a period of time my cursor and the actual area where the "paint" hits the document becomes offset by about 5-10 pixels. This happens every hour or two and I have to quit the program and restart it. It is one of those things that in the past I wouldn’t worry about as I know they would fix it but with adobe’s recent attitude of not addressing any bugs (CS3 anyone?) I won’t be throwing my money down unless I can find a fix.

Anyone else seeing this or know a workaround?

Thanks,
C.G.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Dec 11, 2008
I have not seen this so more info is needed.

LenHewitt, "How To Get Help Quickly" #, 4 Mar 2004 7:27 am </webx?50>
CG
Christopher_Gentry
Dec 11, 2008
What other info do you need? I would be happy to provide it.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 11, 2008
Christopher,

Per Buko’s link. At least, provide your system environment. Thanks.

Neil
P
PShock
Dec 11, 2008
Have the exact same issue. I haven’t noticed a pattern when it begins happening – seems completely random.

Christopher, it’d be good to know your system specs to see if there’s some commonality.

Mac Pro 2.66 / 10.5.5 / 12GB / ATI Radeon 3870 / Wacom 6×8 (original Intous – not sure if latest driver)

-phil
CG
Christopher_Gentry
Dec 11, 2008
Mac pro 2 X 2.66/ 10.5.5/ 2 GB Ram/ NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT/ Wacom 4X5 Intuos 2 w latest driver.

Happens with a mouse as well. But I don’t use a mouse in photoshop.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 11, 2008
There have been other reports of this.

In those cases it seems to have been connected to the video card Driver and was solved by disabling OpenGL.

Both of you are using 10.5.5 so that may also be part of the issue with your card drivers; and the 7300 has been noted by Adobe to be problematic with OpenGL.

As a start, before disabling OpenGL entirely, you might try disabling some of the components in Advanced Drawing and see if that helps.

You could also experiment with using the optional UseOldGPUS.plugin.

I have not seen this problem with a 7800GT on a G5 using 10.4.11.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 11, 2008
does anyone know if Adobe allows you to run CS4 on two different machines as they did on CS3?

They do.
P
PShock
Dec 11, 2008
Well, same machine and OS …

I’m glad to see your listed 7300 GT. This seems to indicate the issue isn’t related to my video card – which, even though it is current, is NOT on Adobe’s official list of tested cards. Your 7300 is on the list, (albeit in a limited capability).

(Any Adobe engineers listening in —- will you be testing the Radeon 3870 any time soon? I realize it’s fairly new, but the list of official, current Mac Pro video cards is quite small.)

Same old messed up icons in the brush icon in the option bar as CS3 to boot. Never got fixed.

Huh?

-phil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 11, 2008
Phil:

There will probably be new video card Drivers incorpoated into Snow Leopard but, until then why don’t you try one of these two things:

Install the optional "UseOld GPUS.plugin

or

Disable Advanced Drawing in OpenGL
CG
Christopher_Gentry
Dec 11, 2008
The weird thing is that I can close a window and go to another open document and the issue resolves itself.

Phil look at the "triangle" next to the brush icon (it is on a blue tab) in the options bar and it looks smeared. It was this way in CS3 if you use leopard and it remains in CS4 if you are running leopard.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 11, 2008
That does sound like a video-card driver issue with Leopard because it does not happen in either CS3 or in CS4 on OSX 10.4.11.
P
PShock
Dec 12, 2008
There will probably be new video card Drivers incorpoated into Snow Leopard but, until then why don’t you try one of these two things: Install the optional "UseOld GPUS.plugin or Disable Advanced Drawing in OpenGL

Ann-
Thanks for the suggestions but I really shouldn’t have to disable features, nor do I want to use the old GPU plugin. You have an old GPU – I do not. Despite the fact that my Mac Pro is 2 yrs-old, this machine and config is still fairly state of the art – all of the OpenGL features work fine.

There might be a new driver included with 10.6 but the one currently installed didn’t come from Apple – it was included in the card.

I’ve seen "driver problems" suggested to pretty much every Mac Pro config that’s available with various video cards, as well as G5 users. If there are THAT many people, with completely different machines and configs having OpenGL issues because of "bad video drivers", I tend to think Adobe hasn’t done their homework with this first go-round of these new features.

Apparently, the ONLY way to avoid OpenGL issues is to purchased an outdated, hacked video card and install the "use-at-your-own-peril" plugin with an old machine. 🙂

I kid ….

In all seriousness, I’m not fully convinced my issue is related to OpenGL anyway. As I said, the new features all work without a hitch.

Christopher –

Phil look at the "triangle" next to the brush icon (it is on a blue tab) in the options bar and it looks smeared.

Am I missing something? Doesn’t look smeared to me -> 10.5.5 / PSCS4

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1jZd6Bj6WOZ0pOT88X lv45YX5T4HR0>

-phil
CG
Christopher_Gentry
Dec 12, 2008
phil, compare those triangles to the ones "right next door" that are next to opacity and flow 😉

These driver issues are a mess. Adobe has truly become microsoft in my eyes. They release half baked features that never get fixed. As a matter of fact I feel that all software these days including the once great apple is on the decline as far as quality goes.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 12, 2008
Besides, all of the OpenGL features work fine.

Except … that you have this non-aligned-with-cursor painting problem.

Might be worth disabling your OpenGL (which appears to "work fine") — just to make sure that your problem (which is certainly not happening to everyone) is not related to your video card?

[I happen to think that it is.]
P
PShock
Dec 14, 2008
Call me crazy but I really don’t consider cursor alignment a "feature" of OpenGL. I was talking about actual features of OpenGL such as flick panning, dynamic zoom, canvas rotation, etc. All of that does indeed "work fine".

Might be worth disabling your OpenGL (which appears to "work fine") — just to make sure that your problem (which is certainly not happening to everyone) is not related to your video card?

My video card/driver is only one possibility of the culprit – could also be caused by something else specific to my system – and yet another possibility is that this first implementation by Adobe is flawed. I realize not everyone is having issues, but enough people are, that I’m leaning towards the latter. And really, there aren’t THAT many video cards available for current Macs. If GPU drivers are truly the root of all these problems, shouldn’t Adobe have discovered these issues?

Granted, I’m using a fairly new, third-party card (the only one available for current Mac Pros), with a driver created by them, but the fact someone else is having the same issue with standard, Apple-supplied gear tells me my card isn’t necessarily the problem.

To be honest, this issue is still in the "annoying" stage for me. I’m not yet to the point of making a concentrated troubleshooting effort. Yes, I could easily turn off OpenGL (btw – there should be something to indicate a relaunch is needed when changing OpenGL availability like there is for changing RAM allocation – there isn’t), but as I said, this is a random issue and it hasn’t happened in a couple of days.

I like the OpenGL features. I don’t really want to be without them for who knows how long when it won’t really tell me anything anyway. If I turn off OpenGL and the issue stops, it could be my card, or a flaw in Adobe’s code. If it doesn’t stop, it could be my card, or a flaw in Adobe’s code.

I really don’t understand this blind faith that anything coming from Adobe is infallible. Bridge in CS3 is certainly evidence to the contrary.

-phil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 14, 2008
I was certainly not suggesting that Adobe was "infallible" but was just trying to suggest possible work-arounds to help you solve your misaligned Cursor problem.
CG
Christopher_Gentry
Dec 15, 2008
The Open GL features of CS4 are the only compelling reasons to upgrade. Without them there is simply no reason to pay for this software.

Kinda funny how painter has been able to rotate the image and resize brushes on the fly for years but Adobe gets around to adding these features and you have to have a magical computer to make it work.

The bean counters at Adobe are really screwing the company up. There is absolutely nothing anyone can tell me that would make me believe that these problems are nothing more than a talented team being rushed by the people that understand nothing but dollars.

I am going to skip this release until I hear that these problems are resolved. I am not going to hold my breath though as none of the problems I had with CS3 were ever addressed.
B
Buko
Dec 15, 2008
phil, I noticed there are no ATI drivers for Windows it might be woth a look to see if they made new drivers for the Mac too.
P
PShock
Dec 16, 2008
Thanks, Buko = I’ve checked and there aren’t any new drivers for this card. I’m not convinced this a card/driver issue anyway.
P
PShock
Dec 18, 2008
As an update to this, I’ve found the behavior is not limited to brushes as it also happens with tools such as the Lasso tool. The cursor location, and the spot where the actual selection is drawn can be off by as many as 10 – 20 pixels to the south (below).

It still seems to happen completely at random and can be fine for an entire day, however I’ve found that merely switching screen modes gets things back to normal. Still annoying, but it’s better than doing a relaunch.

Any engineers want to weigh in on this? Chris?

-phil
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 18, 2008
Hmm, that does sound like an old Wacom bug, and kind of like a bug we saw in one video card driver. I think someone also reported that a game run in the background also caused similar problems, but we never got details on that.

Other than that, I don’t know.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 19, 2008
Wacom posted a new driver a few days ago: 6.1.0-7

See if it helps.
P
PShock
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for your response, Chris and you too, Ann. Unfortunately, I had already updated the Wacom driver and no help.

Chris –

There are a LOT of people reporting this issue where cursor/input elements are "off", (as well as other GUI-esk issues). This can’t be as simple as bad video drivers as the range of machines/cards/drivers affected are widely varied. If it’s true that video drivers are the culprit, that means every single machine Apple has shipped in the last couple of years has video driver problems because that’s how varied it is. I find that hard to believe, especially since many of the machines/cards being reported with problems are on your officially "tested" list. Not everyone is having problems of course, so something else must be going on. Maybe something specific on these machines interfering with the drivers?

For me, no games running in the background and I just answered a new post from a guy with the same issue with a Mac Pro and an ATI X1900. He’s not using a Wacom tablet, so that suggests it’s unrelated to the issue.

Thanks …

-phil
SW
Sharon_Wall
Apr 1, 2009
Hi! I’m having issues with cursor offset too (and my triangles are smeared!).

I have an iMac 2.8 Intel Cord 2 Duo with 4G Ram, and my graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro. I’m running OSX 10.5.5, and my Photshop is v 11.0.1. My iMac isn’t even a year old yet…it would be crazy to think that a new Mac doesn’t play well with Adobe. I actually have the CS4 Creative Premium and have experienced glitchy things with InDesign and Flash also…haven’t used the rest of the suite yet. I do have an Intuos 6×8…don’t know how to check for the driver version. I have the problem also with my Logitech TrackMan Wheel.

Just weighing in to give more info on which machines are having trouble. I need to research the OpenGL features to see if it’s something I wouldn’t mind disabling, though I agree with others that I shouldn’t have to. I upgraded to CS4 because I’m a student and need a version consistent with what is being taught, as well as to facilitate file sharing on group projects. But I’ve run across other students and teachers who agree with the notion that CS4 came out prematurely. There is a growing distrust of Adobe among loyal fans, and I hate to see it, but I think it’s justified.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 1, 2009
Try disconnecting your Logitech TrackMan Wheel and replace it with the standard Apple mouse that came with your computer; then reboot the Mac.
J
jadoyle
Apr 3, 2009
I’ve been having this issue as well… It drives me absolutely nuts. I’ll be working on a poster for a good hour or so then notice my brushing all of a sudden is off and it screws me up.

I’m on a Mac Pro running Leopard 10.5.6 (2.8 8-core, 6gb ram, HD 3870) with a Wacom Intuos 3 (latest drivers).

I’ve been dying for a fix, but starting to think one will never come.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections