ND
Posted By
Nick_Duguid
Jun 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey, I’ve been using photoshop forever, and just recently got CS3 at work. For a while now i’ve tried to understand why snapping just plain didn’t work. I have Snap checked, and Snap To set to All.

I finally figured out that snapping does work if I manually select the move tool from the toolbox or by hitting "v" but does not work in quick move mode by holding down ctrl.

Is tehre a reason for this? Is there a way around it? I’m going to go insane if I have to hit V everytime I want to move something with snapping.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Nick

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 6, 2007
You mean Snap to Document Bounds, right? I believe its a bug and have logged it as such.
ND
Nick_Duguid
Jun 6, 2007
holding ctrl doesn’t snap to anything, doc bounds, guides, or anything else I can find. If it’s a known bug, great, just want to make sure it wasn’t a "feature"
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 6, 2007
I can’t talk for adobe, but its a known bug to me. I haven’t heard anything back from them on it.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 7, 2007
Holding down control overrides snaps, for when you don’t want to snap. It’s a feature.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 9, 2007
Michael,

That might hold true for when the Move Tool is selected, but using Ctrl as a quick way of moving an object always respected the snap-to settings in the past.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 9, 2007
Aha. I thought he was talking about the move tool.
G
garyoa1
Jun 20, 2007
Same here. Kind of. With cs2 to center the guides they’d snap to center. Not so anymore. Very annoying.

It does, however work for an object. It snaps to a guide without a problem. And the guides seem to snap to a handle.
ND
Nick_Duguid
Jun 20, 2007
Mine just don’t snap at all with ctrl. Not to guides, not to eachother, not to the edge of the image. . . nothing. I personally find this very irritating, and hope it will be fixed soon.
N
Naomie
Jun 28, 2007
don’t know if anyone else wrote this because i didnt read everything…. but I have noticed that the guides will snap to the center of the document ONLY if you havent made any layers yet and you just have a background layer… try it out.
RB
Redwing_Blackbird
Jun 28, 2007
Once you’ve invoked Move by holding down Ctrl, and while you’re dragging the object, release Ctrl. You’ll still be moving, but the snaps are back.
ND
Nick_Duguid
Jul 6, 2007
Ooops forgot about this thread,
but thanks Blackbird, you rock!
I am now slightly less angry at Adobe 😛
JW
Jeff_Weez
Jul 18, 2007
This has been driving me crazy but I think I figured it out. Uncheck "Layers" under "Snap to" – I think it conflicts with everything else. When turned on, items only snap to layers. When turned off, it snaps to everything else like it should.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections