PH
Posted By
Peter_Haas_Jr
Jun 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open an image in PSE (from digital camera), the appearance is not correct — it is dark, overly saturated and off in color. This is not the case in for example ACDSee. On the other hand, when I first run it through ACDSee image editor or Pictographics iCorrect first, the images compare very well. Unfortunately, I would like to be able to get a correct image to start with when opened in PSE first. Any ideas of what is happening and how to correct?
Thanks,
Pete

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BB
brent_bertram
Jun 13, 2004
Peter,
Have you run the Adobe Gamma utility to calibrate and profile your display. A profiled display is a "must" for Elements to display images correctly. <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm> .

You might also try the IgnoreEXIF utility, available for download. Sometimes the EXIF-claimed colorspace is a problem.

🙂

Brent
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 13, 2004
Peter,

Elements is probably the only colour managed program you have on your computer so calibrating your monitor is very important … as Brent says try Adobe Gamma and you really will see the difference. Just a thought you are using Windows are you? … if you are using a Mac let us know and someone will talk you through it.

Wendy
PH
Peter_Haas_Jr
Jun 13, 2004
Brent and Wendy,
Thanks much for your response. I do have my monitor calibrated using the Monaco Systems calibration product. What seems strange is that the images look OK in PSE(similar to my other programs — ACDSee and Qimage and Pictographics iCorrect) after I have done some image correction in one of them first and then open in PSE. I also have PhotoShop and a similar thing is happening there.
Brent’s comment about EXIF may be on to something since once an image is adjusted it might lose the EXIF associated with the image. Does PSE and PS use EXIF differently than other programs? Where can I find the IgnoreEXIF utility — just do a search in google??
Pete
PH
Peter_Haas_Jr
Jun 14, 2004
Ken (and Brent who planted the idea),
Thanks much. That did it. (though double clicking on the Ignore color space file did not modify the registry — I had to do it manually)
Now the images appear in PSE the same as all the other programs. Can I assume the same change can be made for PhotoShop in the registry? Again your help is much appreciated.
Pete

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections