DR
Posted By
Daniel_Rippe
May 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open a 300 dpi JPEG (verified using Windows file properties), it becomes a 72 dpi image in Adobe PhotoShop Elements v2.0 !!

Frustrating! Why does Adobe reduce the resolution? I have to "Resize" to get it back, and of course I lose data in the process.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
jhjl1
May 23, 2004
I am assuming you are referring to ppi and not dpi, correct me if I am wrong. If you uncheck resample and change your ppi from 72 to 300 you will not lose any data.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
When I open a 300 dpi JPEG (verified using Windows file properties),
it becomes a 72 dpi image in Adobe PhotoShop Elements v2.0 !!
Frustrating! Why does Adobe reduce the resolution? I have to "Resize"
to get it back, and of course I lose data in the process.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 23, 2004
Daniel, there is no loss in resolution when you open an image. Whatever the original pixel dimensions of the image were before you opened them in Elements, they remain the same. In the Image>Resize box, Elements uses 72 ppi (or in some cases 180 ppi) to calculate the equivalent linear dimensions of an image with that resolution. To get a number you like in that box, make sure that resample is UNchecked and substitute 300 ppi, for instance; you’ll see new linear dimensions but the same pixel dimensions that were there when you started.
LP
Larry Preuss
May 23, 2004
in article ,
wrote on 5/23/04 3:48 PM:

I am assuming you are referring to ppi and not dpi, correct me if I am wrong. If you uncheck resample and change your ppi from 72 to 300 you will not lose any data.

We should keep dpi (dots per inch) completely out of this discussion. DPI is a measure of the number of individual dots of ink deposited on paper by a printer, and is not related to resolution in samples per inch or pixels per inch.
Larry

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections