AL
Posted By
Aaron_Lyon
Oct 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Photoshop CS4 tryout in Mac OS X 10.5.5: Selection marquee is incorrectly drawn one pixel to the left of the actual selection. Simply create a new document, like 800 x 600 pixels, then select all (Command+A). The "marching ants" selection marquee is shifted one pixel to the left of where it should be. Can anyone confirm?

I’m unsure how to report this to Adobe. They don’t make it very easy.

-a

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 20, 2008
Aaron,

They don’t make it very easy.

Just click on either of the "Contact" links, which appear on every forum page (both top and bottom) and then click on "Feedback".

Neil
B
Buko
Oct 20, 2008
In the retail version I just don’t see it.

Tiger on a G5
C
Cindy
Oct 20, 2008
I am able to duplicate this on a Mac Pro, OS 10.4.1

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1q1gv5pAGi3OcwMTg9 dhslZU58lCb>
P
Phosphor
Oct 20, 2008
Well, since it appears as if a pixel is being split by a marquee selection, and since by definition a pixel cannot be divided, then it’s a display anomaly.

What you’ll have to figure out is what region the marquee actually defines when you see what appears to be a line of marching ants running through the center of a pixel. Does the "partial" pixel end up inside or outside of the selection?

Then again, depending on the type of work being done, it may not really matter much, from a visual standpoint.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 21, 2008
It may be off slightly depending on the video card and driver version used. It’s a video driver bug.
R
Ram
Oct 21, 2008
Aaron,

In Photoshop CS4 tryout in Mac OS X 10.5.5

Where did you obtain such an animal? To my knowledge, Adobe has not released a demo of CS4 yet.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 21, 2008
Ramón:

Some selected people may have received pre-release "Evaluation" copies of CS4 from Adobe which they are running in Trial Mode.

That has happened in the past.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 21, 2008
Well la di da

or

oh blah di oh blah dah (life goes on …)
R
Ram
Oct 21, 2008
Some selected people may have received pre-release "Evaluation" copies of CS4 from Adobe

Without an NDA? No wonder cracked/hacked copies of CS4 are all over the net already.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 21, 2008
all you need is a good Swiss can opener.

;o)
A
A._Tz.
Nov 4, 2008
I do have the same problem. at 100% the selection looks like it’s shifted one pixel to the right. And it looks like it’s has selected the canvas border. I am running Photoshop on G5 with 10.4.11.
A
A._Tz.
Nov 4, 2008
I have an NVIDIA GeForce 6600LE video card
KP
Kevin_Perera
Jan 12, 2009
This bug still persists in the real release version. The marching ants selection box draws 1 pixel to the right of the cross hairs curser. CS3 did not have this problem. It’s most annoying along the left edge of the document where a "Select-All" looks like it’s missing the very left column of pixels.

Platform: Mac – Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 13, 2009
The 7300 GT card is not on the "Approved" list for using Open GL in CS4.

Do you still have the same problem if you disable Open GL?

This problem doesn’t occur on a G5 with a nVidea 7800GT card running CS4 on OSX 10.4.11.
C
Cindy
Jan 13, 2009
I have the 7300 GT card running 10.4.11 on a MacPro and I can verify that turning off Open GL solves the problem. So we either have to get a new video card or live with it I suppose. I seriously doubt if the 7300 drivers will be updated.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 13, 2009
Kevin – that is due to the OpenGL drawing in CS4, and is a bug in the video card driver. They’re working on it (but have bigger bugs to fix first)
A
A._Tz.
Jan 13, 2009
I have a G5 with NVidia 6600 LE video card running on OS X 10.4.11. I am experiencing the same problem and turning OpenGL off solves the issue so I guess more than one videocard is affected by this.

Regards,
R
Ram
Jan 13, 2009
For the sake thoroughness, I posted about experiencing the issue, but I’m not in a position to submit a bug report because my entire system not officially supported, not just the card.

Ramón G Castañeda, "Problems with Pen Tool in Photoshop CS4" #6, 21 Dec 2008 10:03 am </webx?14/5>

It works fine otherwise. B)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections