CS4 automatically crops marquee/lasso selection?

BK
Posted By
bart_kowalski
Dec 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey all.

So far, PShop CS4 has been improved dramatically. Thanks for all the new cool stuff. I have an issue where the selection drawn using the marquee/lasso tool being automatically cropped when the selection goes outside the image area.

For example, if I draw a selection using the circle marquee tool where the top section goes above and outside the top part of my image, the resulting selection is a circle with the top cut off. In CS3, I’d get a selection which showed what was inside the image area and what was above couldn’t be seen, but that top of the circle would still be active.

The result here is once I’ve applied a feather to the selection, it gets a different result in CS4 to CS3.

I have a vague recollection of a checkbox somewhere that might switch this behavior on and off. If this is the case, please let me know how to get the behaviour back for CS4. If this is NOT the case, is there another way to get the same behavious as in CS3?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Bart

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 29, 2008
bart,

Thanks for all the new cool stuff

Please understand that your audience here — largely Adobe apps users like you — have nothing to do with it (beyond making our own wishlists known to Adobe).

Neil
BK
bart_kowalski
Dec 29, 2008
Noted. Any suggestions for resolving my issue?
BK
bart_kowalski
Dec 31, 2008
Ok. I’ve also noticed that if I draw a gradient (circular demonstrates the issue the best) by starting the gradient from inside the canvas area, then I extend it outside the canvas area, the gradient IS NOT drawn outside the canvas area at all, i.e., if I then move the gradient layer around, I get a hard edge where the gradient has been cut off. In CS3, I can move this gradient layer around including the part that’s drawn off canvas, which I can bring onto the canvas.

I’m getting a strong sense that this might be a checkbox somewhere. If anyone has any clues, please let me know.

Cheers

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections