RW
Posted By
Ron_W_Phillips
May 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a Dell laptop Inspiron 5100. It has Windows XP.

My problem is that I cannot get Adobe Photoshop Elements to work. I have tried two versions 2.0 and 1.01. The programs seem to load OK but when opened there is an error message that Elements has encountered a problem and needs to close. I have tried to reload with no success. The computer becomes locked up and I have to do a power off shutdown.
Any suggestions?
Ron Phillips

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
May 6, 2004
Do you have Norton or any other antivirus software running while doing the install? If so, make sure they’re disabled first. If not, repost and let us know so someone else can make another suggestion.
RW
Ron_W_Phillips
May 6, 2004
I did disable everything that might have been running.
Ron
MS
Mark_Sand
May 7, 2004
What was the error message? Did you do a forum search on it?
BH
Beth_Haney
May 7, 2004
I did a forum search on this, and the problem has been posted in the past. Unfortunately, nobody seems to have ever come back and reported in if one of the suggestions that was made worked!

I do have another question though. What, exactly, is happening? You said Elements loads OK but won’t open. Does that mean it seems to have installed successfully but then won’t finish loading after you click on the start up icon? There’s a progress bar as Elements is opening, and there are messages flashed about "loading fonts", "building preferences", etc. At what point is Elements shutting down and giving you that error message?
RC
Richard_Coencas
May 7, 2004
Ron,
Have you tried deleting the prefs file before launching?
RW
Ron_W_Phillips
May 7, 2004
I did delete the preferences file. The program beginning screens come up and just as it finishes to the point of being ready It says" Adobe Photoshop Elements has encountered a problem and needs to close." when I click on the error message to see what it is, it is about four miles long of stuff I don’t understand.

thanks everyone for your efforts,

Ron
CD
Chris Dubea
May 7, 2004
On Fri, 7 May 2004 08:56:15 -0700,
wrote:

I did delete the preferences file. The program beginning screens come up and just as it finishes to the point of being ready It says" Adobe Photoshop Elements has encountered a problem and needs to close." when I click on the error message to see what it is, it is about four miles long of stuff I don’t understand.

thanks everyone for your efforts,

Ron

Do you have the Kodak camera transfer utility loaded by any chance? That is what caused my problems way back when.
============================================================ =============== Chris

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections