M
Posted By
mandbx
Oct 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been running Photoshop 5.5 on a windows XP SP2 laptop ever since I got the laptop (probably 4+ years ago). About a month or so ago Photoshop would no longer run. figured I needed to re-install it. So I uninstalled it and then put the disk in the cd tray and the menu to install comes up but nothing happens when I click on Install.

I even double clicked on the setup.exe file on the install disk. I get an hourglass that soon goes away and that’s it.

Any response wil be thunderously applauded.
mike in santa rosa

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
mandbx
Oct 26, 2008
well, if anybody’s interested I found the problem. This is a dell laptop that had an application called "Dell Support Center" and I saw some mention in another group this could cause problems so I uninstalled DSC.

But the uninstall didn’t remove the program files and an executable called sprtcmd.exe would continue to run on boot and would hang the computer on shudown.

After booting i killed the process "sprtcmd.exe" and photoshop would install and then run.

I made a copy of all the del support center files and put them on another partition (just in case) and then deleted the sprtcmd.exe file.

After subsequent boots photoshop continues to funciton.

not real clean but it’s working.

later – mike

"news.sf.sbcglobal.net" wrote in message
I’ve been running Photoshop 5.5 on a windows XP SP2 laptop ever since I got the laptop (probably 4+ years ago). About a month or so ago Photoshop would no longer run. figured I needed to re-install it. So I uninstalled it and then put the disk in the cd tray and the menu to install comes up but nothing happens when I click on Install.

I even double clicked on the setup.exe file on the install disk. I get an hourglass that soon goes away and that’s it.

Any response wil be thunderously applauded.
mike in santa rosa

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections