DK
Posted By
David_Kachel
Oct 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Everything I read tells me to wait until the last step before printing to sharpen photographs. However, I am converting my photographs to smart objects just after opening them in photoshop and when I am finished manipulating the photograph and ready to sharpen before printing, the sharpen filter is entered underneath the smart object in the layers palette as a smart filter. This suggests to me that photoshop is ‘inserting’ sharpening as it were, as a previous step and although I didn’t perform it until last, it is converted by photoshop to an early step.

Do I have to give up smart objects so that sharpening just before printing remains as a last step or is the positioning of smart filters near the bottom of the list misleading me into thinking they are being applied out of the order I intend?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
ppctrialblog
Oct 19, 2008
Your being mislead 🙂
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 20, 2008
With smart object sharpening you aren’t "destructively" modifying the layer–you can turn the sharpening on and off so its kind of similar to sharpening at the end.

alan
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Oct 21, 2008
And not only is it reversible, it is modifiable if this should prove necessary.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections