Dynamic refresh of .psb file (smart object) possible?

J
Posted By
jayhilwig
Sep 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to dynamically have changes made to external files as smart objects (IL, PDF, .psb) be reflected in Photoshop?

Right now I have to "Replace Contents…" and locate the, in my case, .psb file.

Untitled.psd (main photoshop file)
—>banner.psb (external file)

When I update banner.psb, I would like Untitled.psd to reflect those changes.

CS2

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 21, 2006
As far as I know, the change is temporary until you commit by saving, which is pretty much true of any photoshop file.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 22, 2006
If you edit the smart object in Photoshop, then it updates when you save the child file and activate the parent file.

If you edit the file that you placed on disk (ie: not in the document), then it won’t be updated because the smart object has no connection to the file on disk (it is embedded, not linked).
J
jayhilwig
Sep 22, 2006
The "export contents" and "replace contents" layer palette actions led me to think it’s more of a link function. The reusability of external smart objects (.psb) would be of significant value (ie…"refresh", or "update").
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 23, 2006
No, those are there because it is NOT A link (if it were linked, you wouldn’t need either command).

Unfortunately, linking would involve a lot of additional UI and complications (which most people don’t seem to need once we ask them for details).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections