Any limit or instability issues in "deep nesting" smart objects?

M
Posted By
Maxxlava
Oct 27, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have become more and more reliant on SO’s.

I haven’t run into any issues, but does any one know of limits or reasons not to "deep nest*" smart objects in large, complicated files? (*by deep nesting, I mean SO layer(s) in an SO in an SO….and so on.

Sounds messy, but it has really helped me keep jobs neat & tidy, but i don’t want to find out it is not recommended and/or prudent.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 27, 2008
Blending modes are not honored at they interact with other objects within the parent document. But then again, no nested objects do.
LA
Larry_Auerbach
Oct 27, 2008
It’s nice to know that others have doing the same "deep nesting" that I’ve been indulging in recently. I did have a problem with two files in the past week. With one of them, my attempts to edit a top-level smart object produced an error message "Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop", despite the fact that all the Photoshop editing I do has been with PS CS3 10.0.1. A second file with nested SOs would mysteriously shift colors when editing was attempted, as if another CMYK profile was getting assigned to it. Luckily I was able to work around both of these situations, and I’m suspecting the cause might be my imprudent saving of these files on occasion directly to our server in a hurried rush to get things done for a deadline, instead of saving on my Mac and copying to the server as I usually do.

All in all, I’ve found nesting SOs to be a very powerful way of getting some necessary work done without creating a proliferation of smaller files.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections