JK
Posted By
JP Kabala
Aug 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to find a software package that will allow me to create stand alone, executable screensavers (from a series of images) that can be distributed via the web or on a CD.

I’ve bought a couple of things that said they could do this, but none of them has a decent extraction and install
utility.. The target for this screensaver is not the computer- savviest audience in the world, so if the install is not painless the project will be a bust. Frankly, the install is more important than fancy transitions, music, etc.

1) What have you used?
2) What did you like best about it?
3) What drawbacks, if any, does it have?

TIA
JPK

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TH
Tom H
Aug 29, 2003
JP,
You might take a look at this one….looks like a fairly straight forward setup and execution:

http://www.2flyer.com/

Tom H
S
Stuart
Aug 29, 2003
Download.com has a screensaver section and I am sure you could find a decent free one.

Stuart

JP Kabala wrote:

I need to find a software package that will allow me to create stand alone, executable screensavers (from a series of images) that can be distributed via the web or on a CD.

I’ve bought a couple of things that said they could do this, but none of them has a decent extraction and install
utility.. The target for this screensaver is not the computer- savviest audience in the world, so if the install is not painless the project will be a bust. Frankly, the install is more important than fancy transitions, music, etc.

1) What have you used?

TIA
JPK

R
RTM
Aug 29, 2003

1) What have you used?
Irfan View 3.8

It works, Its simple and its free

You’d need to provide your own installer to copy the *.scr file to the user’s hard disk and set it as active screensaver.
Manually it would just be a case of copying the file over and choosing it in Windows, but probably many wouldn’t be bothered to make the effort. You know what folk are like: Want everything done for ’em. —

Ron.

JP Kabala wrote in message
there are dozens…I was just hoping for some feedback from someone who’s used a specific product. thanks anyway
SI
stupid_idiot
Aug 29, 2003
I use this one….very robust…
http://www.stardustsoftware.com/
Lacking in whizbang packeged transitions but will accomodate FLASH files.

"JP Kabala" wrote in message
there are dozens…I was just hoping for some feedback from someone who’s used a specific product. thanks anyway

"Stuart" wrote in message
Download.com has a screensaver section and I am sure you could find a decent free one.

Stuart

JP Kabala wrote:

1) What have you used?

TIA
JPK

JK
JP Kabala
Aug 29, 2003
thanx so much!
"RTM" wrote in
Irfan View 3.8

It works, Its simple and its free

You’d need to provide your own installer to copy the *.scr file to the user’s hard disk and set it as active screensaver.
Manually it would just be a case of copying the file over and choosing it
in
Windows, but probably many wouldn’t be bothered to make the effort. You know what folk are like: Want everything done for ’em. —

Ron.

JP Kabala wrote in message

J
Judi
Aug 29, 2003
Hi,
I haven’t used this program but I happened to see it in my wanderings and it sounds pretty good.
Judi

1) What have you used?

TIA
JPK

J
Judi
Aug 29, 2003
I’m sorry to be so unclear. It was the one at the bottom that caught my attention, Ace Screensaver. I haven’t a clue as to whether or not this is the type of program you are looking for.
Judi

1) What have you used?

TIA
JPK

JK
JP Kabala
Aug 29, 2003
Hell, for $15 with a 15day trial and the installer
utility built in, it’s worth a d/l
I’ll check this and the others mentioned out…

FWIW–the client product is targeted to Seniors, and
bells and whistles are less important than
one-click idiot-proof installation. They have no desire
to create a giveaway that will generate tech support
calls. 🙂

"Judi" wrote in message
I’m sorry to be so unclear. It was the one at the bottom that caught my attention, Ace Screensaver. I haven’t a clue as to whether or not this is the type of program you are looking for.
Judi

1) What have you used?

TIA
JPK

J
Judi
Aug 29, 2003
Well, I’m right at senior citizen status and I agree with the philosophy. Its not that we can’t understand the instructions as much as we don’t have the time or the patience and by this age, if we bought it or even received it free, we will keep working at it forever (calls to tech support). I get aggravated when something I think will be simple-turns out to be a hassle. If you need a tester-I’ll be glad to help.
Judi
Hell, for $15 with a 15day trial and the installer
utility built in, it’s worth a d/l
I’ll check this and the others mentioned out…

FWIW–the client product is targeted to Seniors, and
bells and whistles are less important than
one-click idiot-proof installation. They have no desire
to create a giveaway that will generate tech support
calls. 🙂

"Judi" wrote in message
I’m sorry to be so unclear. It was the one at the bottom that caught my attention, Ace Screensaver. I haven’t a clue as to whether or not this
is
the type of program you are looking for.
Judi

1) What have you used?

TIA
JPK

U
Uni
Aug 29, 2003
JP Kabala wrote:

Why? Is the PSP-8 splash screen damaging the phosphor on your monitor, because it takes so long to load?

Uni
OA
omcdaniel.abcd
Aug 31, 2003
My favorite, is DCATSAVA, but it might not do all the things you want. Worth checking though, and it’s free. Go here:

http://www.dcatsoftware.com/mswind/dss/main.htm

Olin McDaniel

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 05:34:14 GMT, "JP Kabala" wrote:

1) What have you used?

TIA
JPK

To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address —————————————————–
"Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."
J
Joe
Sep 1, 2003
"JP Kabala" wrote:

1) What have you used?

TIA
JPK

*If* you can draw and want to show off your drawing talent then you may want to check out the DrawingHand and ArtStudio at
www.drawinghand.com

The ArtStudio can record all strokes and let you save as standalone screensaver or to use with DrawingHand. DrawingHand is a separated program to play the arts created by ArtStudio.
JK
JP Kabala
Sep 1, 2003
This has absolutely no relevance to the question I asked, but it is interesting-looking software.

I’m actually looking for a screen saver generator with a bulletproof executable installer for a client project (They want a promo screensaver with product shots and info. They do not want tech support nightmares) Since the product itself is rather attractive (a gulfcoast retirement community) the screensaver would be glory shots of Gulf sunsets, golf courses, the community, etc. and simple transitions would be fine…

But needing a special plugin would be a deal breaker.

"Joe" wrote in message
"JP Kabala" wrote:

1) What have you used?

TIA
JPK

*If* you can draw and want to show off your drawing talent then you may want to check out the DrawingHand and ArtStudio at
www.drawinghand.com

The ArtStudio can record all strokes and let you save as standalone screensaver or to use with DrawingHand. DrawingHand is a separated program to play the arts created by ArtStudio.
SI
stupid_idiot
Sep 1, 2003
well, I back again recommending www.starsdustsoftware.com try one of theirs…

In over 6 years I have never had a tech support inquiry.

This has absolutely no relevance to the question I asked, but it is interesting-looking software.

I’m actually looking for a screen saver generator with a bulletproof executable installer for a client project (They want a promo screensaver with product shots and info. They do not want tech support nightmares) Since the product itself is rather attractive (a gulfcoast retirement community) the screensaver would be glory shots of Gulf sunsets, golf courses, the community, etc. and simple transitions would be fine…

"Joe" wrote in message
"JP Kabala" wrote:

1) What have you used?

TIA
JPK

www.drawinghand.com

A
ab
Sep 1, 2003
Go here: http://www.rjhsoftware.com

Download SaverWiz. Good program for stand alone scr’s. Just drag finished product to the proper folder and it appears on the scr list.

AB

SaverWiz Copyright
MW
Mike Williams
Sep 2, 2003
Wasn’t it JP Kabala who wrote:

1) What have you used?

(1) Screen Saver Construction Set

<http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/alchemy.html>

(2) It has an option called "Create Installer" which takes the .SCR file that you created and creates a .EXE installer. You give the .EXE file to someone and they when they run it they get the buttons:
Install (the default)
Cancel
Preview (runs the screensaver without installing it)
and the options
Wait Time: (defaults to 10 minutes)
Make this my default screensaver: (defaults to yes)

When you create the install file you can select the colour of the installer screen, an optional logo image to be displayed during installation, and an optional "readme" document to be displayed when the installation is complete.

The program is shareware, so you can see if it will do what you want before paying the $30. The unregistered version never times out but you can only play the generated screensavers from inside the SSCS program, so you can only give the savers to someone else with the registered version.

(3) One downside, for what you want to do, is that SSCS is capable of creating screensavers that do an awful lot more than just displaying a series of images, so it ends up not quite so easy to use as other simpler programs.

The screensaver files (and the .EXE installer files that contain them) do tend to become fairly large, so don’t expect to be able to distribute them on floppy discs. I guess it stores the images internally in an uncompressed format. A screensaver with a single 800×600 image comes out at over 1.5Mb, even though the original JPG that I read into SSCS was only 165kb.

Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure
JK
JP Kabala
Sep 3, 2003
will check it out….

Thanx

"stupid_idiot" wrote in message
well, I back again recommending www.starsdustsoftware.com try one of
theirs…

"Joe" wrote in message
"JP Kabala" wrote:

1) What have you used?

TIA
JPK

www.drawinghand.com

SI
stupid_idiot
Sep 3, 2003
stardustsoftware.com

will check it out….

Thanx

"stupid_idiot" wrote in message
well, I back again recommending www.starsdustsoftware.com try one of
theirs…

"Joe" wrote in message
"JP Kabala" wrote:

1) What have you used?

TIA
JPK

www.drawinghand.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections