JE
Posted By
Jonathan_Emberton
Jun 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We have photoshop 7. When we try to load it the splash screen comes up but when it get to loading color preferences(I think, it goes so fast it is hard to tell) it just closes. There are no error messages just simply closes. I have uninstalled, even went in and deleted any registry key that mentioned photoshop7. Still crashes after I reinstalled. Any ideas?

Jon

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CW
Colin_Walls
Jun 25, 2004
Have you reset preferences [per FAQ]? That is usually the best thing to try first.
JE
Jonathan_Emberton
Jun 25, 2004
nice that worked.. I guess I should know better than expect this, but if I uninstall, I would expect that most files would be DELETED or at the VERY least the ones that could be causing or known to cause problems. Also I was quite dissapointed in the ammount of dead branches the uninstaller left in the registry.

Jon
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 25, 2004
guess I should know better than expect this, but if I uninstall, I would expect that most files would be DELETED

when you uninstall all files that are INSTALLED are deleted. The prefrences file, being a user settings, is not. It’s not created until the 1st run of the application AFTER the installation.
L
LenHewitt
Jun 25, 2004
Jonathan,

The uninstaller can only delete files (or registry entries for that matter) that the installation program creates. The preference file is created when you first use Photoshop, so the uninstaller knows nothing about its existence.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 25, 2004
you know, i’ve heard that somewhere before…
J
johnkissane3
Jun 25, 2004
Me three
JE
Jonathan_Emberton
Jun 25, 2004
Like I said I should have known better. I understand that the uninstaller’s job is to delete what it installed and unlike many uninstallers it at least deleted the entire directory. It seems to me that we need to get a little more intuitive with programming. That uninstaller can be made to look for files that the program creates. ie "Adobe Photoshop X Prefs.psp" and at least prompt if you want it deleted. Especially when that file seems to be a known issue.

Uninstall should be just that, it uninstalls ALL traces of the program that it is designed for. It is like having someone come in to take out the trash, but they leave any paper that may have fallen out of the can.

Sorry I have dealt with some high priced buggy programs and installers/uninstallers the past couple weeks.
A
A._Marsh
Jun 25, 2004
how do you reset the preferences without photoshop functioning? i saw that you stated "per FAQ’s" …althought i’m not very computer responsive.. are you speaking about withing the photoshop program or through some other program / file.
G
graffiti
Jun 25, 2004

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections